Chapter 33

"Please fasten your seatbelts," Martin announced over the speaker. "We are currently experiencing turbulence."

The FAs were deployed to make sure that everyone followed the instructions. Maine made her rounds with Ardee on the other aisle doing the same.

She was worried about the turn of events. Martin had assigned her in First Class, that might upset the other FAs in the team. She knew Martin assigns newbies at the back so that they could get the most experience, and to be assign to First Class on technically her first day was unorthodox. She didn't want to step on anyone's toes if there was already a previous assignment. She had hoped that she could at least speak to either Valeen or Abbie. But they were assigned to Business Class and their current passengers had them moving back and forth a lot.

It was pretty uneventful when everything was settled. When Martin was sure that she could work, he started assigning their stations. She was shocked to get assigned at First Class but no one questioned the assignment. During the briefing she kept glancing at their Captain who was on the other side of the room giving his own briefing to his co-pilots.

Everyone called him "Jase" or "Jason". Ardee mentioned that he was one of the best pilots in the company. He was very professional and moved up the ranks quickly because of it.

They didn't get a chance to talk after she fainted in his arms. Since she was late, their briefing was a rush after the introductions and they quickly headed towards the boarding area. Any other attempt for them to interact was put on hold as they both became busy with pre-flight preparations. And there was so much activity that happened during the flight itself that she was barely able to sit down.

Maine wondered who he was. He seemed to know her very well. He looked so much like Alden. But why didn't she know about him? Why didn't Alden talk about him? Clearly they were twins. But why was there no mention of him?

"Maine," said Ardee when they were back in the galley and they were through the turbulence. "How are you feeling?"

For the short amount of time that they were partnered together, Maine and Ardee were comfortable working together. They've become instant friends, and with Ardee being the senior of the two, she made sure that Maine was doing fine.

Maine smiled and replied, "I'm fine, thanks. I'm just worried that's all."

"About what?"

"The assignments," she slowly answered. "It's technically my first day here. Martin usually assigned First Class to the more experienced. Right?"

"We all get the reason why Martin assigned you here," she smiled, easing Maine of her worry. "You gave us quite a scare. I'm sure Martin was just worried. That's why he assigned you near him so he can keep an eye on you."

"I'm sorry," Maine said. "I didn't want to be a burden to anyone."

"Don't be," Ardee replied. "You're a welcome relief to Martin. Tanya had been a headache to him since this rotation started. And it's just been, what? Two weeks? And being her buddy, I get the same headaches Martin gets too. She always sneaks out past curfew and would request switching to another schedule often. This is the second time that she did this on this rotation but I've heard she had done it at least three times in previous rotations. It would be one excuse after another. And she's not even doing well as an FA too. There were a few complaints from the passengers about her. I hope Martin finds a way to keep you here on this rotation before the next scheduled one or I'll be the one requesting for reassignment. She's driving me crazy and she's suppose to have seniority."

Maine smiled at her remark. She would be happy with this team if she stayed, if she could only figure out their Captain.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen," the speaker boomed as the Captain spoke. "We will be approaching Manila in about 20minutes. Temperatures are at 26 degrees celsius with light rain showers. Perfect bed weather for all you lovely couples on this flight."