Chapter 25

Just when everyone thought that things were getting better, fate dealt them a different hand.

Maine's condition have gotten worse over the course of their stay in the hospital. Dr. Vega has yet to find a possible match for her and he was losing hope that he could ever find a compatible heart for his patient.

Alden's body have been healing nicely, although his brain function have been steady but weak. There have been no other improvements in his condition since Maine left his room.

Jason kept a constant vigil beside his twin, constantly telling him stories of what's been happening to their family while Alden "slept". The only good thing that has happened since the accident was that their parents have patched up whatever issues they had with each other and were back together.

He also kept playing his guitar, hoping that his brother would have a positive response to his playing. But Alden's monitors didn't beep to indicate brain function. Jason kept playing, hoping he'll get through to his twin.

It was one afternoon when Jason was left alone with his brother, that he heard a commotion in the other room. When he opened the door slightly to check what was going on, he saw nurses rushing in Maine's room, one of them was pushing a defibrillator towards her room. Maine's parents were led outside, as Dr. Vega came rushing in, calmly giving out instructions to the nurses present.

Jason checked his brother to see if there were any changes, but seeing as nothing has changed, he went out of the room and head towards Maine's parents. Mary Anne was clutching Ted tightly, tears were falling down her face as Ted tried to calm her down, whispering comforting words and brushing his hands up and down her back.

"Tito Ted? Tita Mary Anne?" He called as he reached them. "What's going on?"

"Maine's heart stopped beating," Ted explained as new batch of tears fell on Mary Anne's face and he heard her whimper.

"What?!?"

"My poor baby!" Jason heard Mary Anne's muffled voice cried out. "Please, don't take her away. Please!"

Ted doubled his efforts to calm his wife. Jason just reached out and placed a comforting hand on the older man's shoulder. He was also lost for words. He prayed silently for Maine's heart to start beating again. He stayed with the Mendozas until Dr. Vega emerged, looking exhausted and grim.

"Doc?"

All three of them faced Dr. Vega and from the look that he gave them, it wasn't good news.

"We were able to revive her and stabilize her," he reported. "But this is only temporary. She's currently unconscious. Unless we find a heart donor soon, I'm afraid Maine would only have weeks."

Mary Anne gasped and once again buried her face on her husband's chest and cried.

"No!" She cried. "Not my baby! Please, please not my baby! This can't be happening. It shouldn't end like this! My sweet Maine! Please not her!"

Ted could only hold on to his wife to comfort her. Jason was the one who thanked the doctor as the Mendoza couple were inconsolable at that moment. His heart went out to them. He excused himself and asked permission if he could see her since she was unconscious. Ted could only nod.

Jason went inside Maine's room and sat down on the chair at her bedside. Her heart beat was erratic and she had an oxygen hose placed on her nose so she could breathe better. He reached out, took her hand and placed it on his cheek. A lone tear fell and dropped at her hand.

"You said you'll keep fighting, Maine," Jason started. "So come on. Fight. I know there's a heart there somewhere with your name on it. Just hold on until they find it. I believe Rich when he said you were strong, so I know you can fight this."

He squeezed the hand that was placed on his face as he continued, "Rich would blame himself if he found out that you're not getting any better. Rich is that sort of person who would blame himself for world hunger. Would you really want Rich to blame himself? I'm sure you don't. You're a really nice person and you wouldn't want him to take the blame for this."

He took a deep breathe and let it out slowly. Jason kept Maine's hand on his cheek as he added, "I can't lose you without you even knowing who I am. As selfish as that might sound, it's the truth. It's unfair that you only know Rich when the both of us have known you since you've entered Rich's life. He was suppose to introduce me to you this summer. I could've met you in a different circumstance. But here we are.

"The two of you would make a lovely couple, you know. Rich plans on courting you when you turn sixteen. Tito Ted told him that he needed to wait so he's waiting. He could wait forever for you, you know.

"So Maine, hold on. Dr. Burnz is doing his best to find you a heart. So just hold on and keep fighting. Show us the strength that Rich has admired you for. You can beat this, Maine. I know you can. You've been beating this since the very beginning, so please continue fighting. You want to see the world, right? So beat this and see the world! You can do it, Maine! Rich believes in you. I believe in you!"

Jason didn't notice that he was already crying. He stood and wiped of the tears that had gotten her hand wet with the hem of his shirt.

"Sorry," he said as he placed the hand back on the bed. "I didn't mean to cry like that."

It was at that moment when Maine's parents came back in her room.

"Rich is alone in the other room so I have to get back," he held her hand once more and gave it a squeeze. "I'll see you again, Maine. Just don't let go."

Jason was about to let go of her hand when he felt her squeeze back. He looked at the hand that was clutching his and quickly checked if she had woken up. When he saw that she was still unconscious, he carefully extricated his hand from hers. He bid his farewell to Maine's parents and head back to Alden's room.