Chapter 46

"Would you prefer chicken or beef?"

It was time for the first meal on the flight to be distributed, so Maine along with the rest of the crew were pushing the trolleys for the meals. Anne was with her, an FA who was very tall and intimidating until she started talking. She was really sweet and fun to talk to as she had so many stories to tell. Anne was the one asking the passengers their preferred meal while Maine was the one handing out the meal itself and the drink they preferred.

Maine was assigned to the economy section of the plane, even though a lot of her team mates wanted to trade with her so she could be moved to First Class like before. Her closeness with their Captain was apparent, and they were doing their part in bringing them closer. But she insisted that she stayed at the back. She made training an excuse. But she was still trying to avoid Richard until now.

Because of the embarrassing incident at the Faulkerson house, Maine was not able to confront Richard about her discovery. After gathering her things that day, she immediately headed home, just telling Richard's mom that she'll be ready in an hour. The drive to the hospital was strained. Richard tried making small talk but she just gave one worded answers. She still couldn't look him in the eye.

Maine thanked him quickly and left him in his car when they got back from the doctor's appointment, stating that she needed to pack and get ready for their trip the next day. She didn't look back even when Richard tried to call her. The drive the next day to the airport was still strained, but Richard kept silent all throughout their journey. At the airport she was saved by Jerald, who was still very remorseful about his prank towards her, by practically serving her hand and foot. Jerald was hovering so much that Richard left them be, sitting at the far end of the room, checking out the flight manifesto. He kept to himself until their briefing and when they headed for the plane.

She thought she was in the clear when she got assigned at the back. Maine thought she wouldn't be able to see Richard until they've reached Milan. But she was surprised to see him walking behind Martin after they've finished serving the meals to the passengers.

Martin just gave the crew one look and they all scampered away. He then turned to Richard and said in a low voice so only the three of them could hear, "you have 20 minutes. No monkey business please, you're on duty."

"When have I ever been a problem to you, Martin?" Richard asked but there was a mischievous grin on his face.

"There's always the first time, Jase," he replied. "Please keep your voice down. But if you can't, try to squeeze yourselves in the washroom. The noise wouldn't be as loud in there."

He walked away without waiting for a reply from either of them. Richard pulled the curtains so that he and Maine could have a bit of privacy.

"What are you doing here, Captain?" Maine asked, addressing him by his title. She saw him frown.

"Whatever I've done wrong," Richard started. His voice was low so she was the only one who could hear. "I am really sorry!"

"You've done nothing wrong, RJ," Maine replied, but she still couldn't look at him straight as she remembered those well-toned arms of his from yesterday, and how much she suddenly yearned to be wrapped in them. She started to blush at where her thoughts were heading. Seeing him in his uniform wasn't helping her either.

"Then why aren't you talking to me?" He asked. He realized that she still wasn't looking at him so he tried to let her face him by reaching out with both hands, cupping her cheeks and slowly turned her face towards him. "Is it the book? Fine! I promise I'll read Twilight once we get back from Milan."

Maine couldn't reply. Her heart was pounding at the close proximity. When she still haven't said anything, he went on.

"I hate that you're not talking to me, Maine," he whispered. There was an edge of desperation in his voice. "Please talk to me."

"I'm just so embarrassed," she whispered back, closing her eyes as she was unable to look away.

"About what?"

"About what happened yesterday."

"Yesterday?"

"In your room."

There was a loud gasp that came from the other side of the curtain that both Maine and Richard turned towards it. Richard let go of Maine and reached out to draw the curtain open. Martin was there, standing stiffly straight looking guilty. Richard gave him a scowl.

"Martin?"

"I was just leaving," he answered as he scampered off to the other direction.

Richard sighed and drew the curtain back. He turned and muttered, "I can't believe I'm doing this."

He took Maine's hand and ushered her inside one of the washrooms. He followed suit and locked the door behind him. Maine sat on the closed lid of the toilet seat while he stood on the other side. Half a foot was the only distance they have from each other.

"So," Richard said as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Where were we?"