Chapter 53

After both their tears subsided and they have composed themselves, they laughed at their predicament. When the laughter subsided as well, Maine asked, "so when I was in the hospital, you've been singing to me?"

He nodded and added, "whenever you were unconscious. Our parents were worried what your reaction would be if you see a healthy 'Rich' in your room. It might have affected your heart, and you weren't doing so well back then. But Tita Mary Anne said that you usually relaxed whenever you hear me play, even if you were unconscious at the time. So they let me see you when you were asleep and heavily sedated."

"I've always loved to hear you play," she said. "Ever since that first time you played for me. Why did you sing, 'Every Time I See You' that night?"

"That was purely coincidental," he replied. "Fra Lippo Lippi was playing in my player. I choose random CDs to wake me up. So when Rich asked for me to play something for you, that song was the first thing that came into mind. I know the song by heart so it wasn't hard to play that for you."

He stood up and picked up the guitar that he placed on the couch awhile ago. He also took his notebook out and passed it to Maine.

"Pick a song," Richard said as he sat back down on the edge of the bed, facing her.

Maine looked down at the notebook that was handed to her. She tentatively opened the notebook and remembered the first time she saw it. She blushed at the memory. But she kept it to herself and flipped through the pages. She stopped at the one titled "Undone".

"I wrote that when you were in the hospital," he explained. "I tried to imagine what you might have been feeling."

He started strumming and sang. Maine just watched and listened as he played. His eyes were closed, feeling the music. He poured his heart into his music. Maine remembered the melody of the song and with Richard playing it live for her, she felt her heart flutter from hearing him sing. It had always calmed her down whenever he sang for her. His music always made her relax. She smiled and placed a hand to her chest, feeling at peace.

Richard played two more songs that she picked from the notebook. He gave a brief background on why he wrote it and what it was about, and Maine enjoyed the mini concert immensely. She felt so special, hearing the songs he wrote for her.

When she picked the last song though, Richard hesitated.

"I can't play that yet," he said with a bit of regret in his voice. "The song's for Rich. I want to play it to him first before I let other people hear it. I'm sorry."

"It's okay," she replied with a smile.

"But I can play you this," he pointed to the song that she remembered didn't have a title and chords when she first saw it. But now it was titled "All That I'm Asking For". "It's a song that popped in my head that night Jerald spiked your drink."

He started to play once more. Then he began to sing.

🎶Gravity pulls and
We fall from the clouds
We prove to each other
That we're both human now
The time that we spent
Trying to make sense
Of it all

All that I'm asking for
Is that you need nothing more
And nothing comes in between
Our love and it's fragile, see
All that I'm asking for
You're all that I'm asking for

Now we walk together
Knowing where we've been
Knowing mistakes are being mistaken again
It's in the past tense
There is no making sense of it now

All that I'm asking for
Is that you need nothing more
And nothing comes in between
Our love and it's fragile, see

All that I'm asking for
You're all that I'm asking for

In the still of your hands
Anything can happen now
With every beat of my heart
Love speaks in silence

In the still of your hands
Anything is possible
With every beat of my heart

The time that we spent
Trying to make sense, of it all

All that I'm asking for
Is that you need nothing more
And nothing comes in between
Our love and it's fragile, see

All I'm asking for
Is that you need nothing more
And nothing comes in between
Our love and it's fragile, see

All that I'm asking for
You're all that I'm asking for🎶

Maine was in tears when Richard finished the song. Richard reached out and wiped the tears that fell down her face.

"That was beautiful," she said with a smile.

"You're beautiful," he stated. He placed the guitar carefully on the floor. He reached out and took her hands in his, clutching it tightly. Whenever he held her, it just felt good. It felt right.

He looked at their hands and a small smile appeared on his lips.

"Maine," he started. "I know you've only met me. And you've just started to get to know me. But I've known you as long as Rich had."

He looked up and stared straight into her brown orbs, "I'd liked you eversince, Maine. I like you very much. That small window that Rich allowed me before just made me admire you so much. You're beautiful, strong, determined, and here you are living your dream. You're amazing!"

He kept his gaze on her, never breaking eye contact. There was suddenly a lump on his throat that he tried to clear before he continued, "I'm not saying this to pressure you or anything. I won't push too much. I don't want to overwhelm you. I just want you to know that I'll wait. As long as it takes. Until you're ready. But whatever happens I'll be here, no matter what. I'll stay as long as you have me."

Maine smiled and reached out to caress his cheek. She replied, "thank you for always being there. And for giving me this space. I'll get there, RJ. Just don't stop waiting for me, please."

"I won't," Richard remarked. "I promise."

-oo-

Author's Note:
Disclaimer: Today's music is "All That I'm Asking For" by Lifehouse from their album "Smoke and Mirrors" released in 2010. As usual, I do not own the song, it's Lifehouse's. 😊