Chapter 10

That night when Alden was preparing to go to sleep, he heard static from the two-way radio. He took it from the charger/stand and waited. He heard the clicking sound from the other end, a short whimper that was cut off and then someone clearing her throat. Alden couldn't help but smile. He finally decided to put Maine out of her misery. After all, it wasn't good for her to get stressed. Suddenly, memories of the hospital scene that afternoon flashed through his mind: Her fear, her pained expression, her plea for him to stay.

"Maine," he said over the radio.

There was static for a while, then finally she answered weakly, "Alden?"

"What are you still doing up?"

"I'm really sorry, Alden."

"Forget about it. Water under the bridge."

"I don't want you to stay mad at me."

"I'm not mad."

"But you weren't talking to me."

"I'm talking to you now."

"You weren't talking to me awhile ago."

"I was worried about you, Maine."

"I'm really sorry."

"Stop saying sorry. You don't need to say sorry, Maine. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I can't lose you, Alden."

"Who says that you'll lose me? I'm right here, Maine. I'm not going anywhere."

"Even if I screw up your game?"

"I could always redo. Besides, unlike some people I know, I play my own game so that my farm improves all the time." He laughed and let her hear it before releasing the call button. He heard her laugh as well. He felt her relax and he in turn relaxed as well.

"I didn't save the game," she said. "I just wanted to pull a joke on you."

"I know," he answered. "I checked my farm when I got home. I was really planning on redoing. Good thing I checked it first."

"I'm really sorry, Alden."

"If you say 'sorry' one more time, I will really get mad. What are you doing up anyway? You're suppose to be on bed rest."

"I couldn't sleep. I thought you were still mad at me."

"Well," Alden replied. "I'm not mad. Now, get some sleep. Bed rest, remember?"

"Okay."

"I'll drop by your house tomorrow to keep you company."

"Thanks Alden."

"You're welcome, Maine. Always welcome. Now get some sleep. You've been through alot today."

"Alright. Good night, Alden."

"Good night, Maine. Sweet dreams."

"You too."