Chapter 16

Maine woke up still feeling some pain in her chest. Although it wasn't as intense as earlier, it still hurt. It was early evening, her night-light being the only source of light on her room. The rest of the room was dark.

She struggled as she tried to sit up and reached for the glass of water at her bedside table but someone beat her to it. She looked up hoping it was her best friend, but was slightly disappointed to see her father holding the glass. Maine reached out and took the glass, taking small sips from it before handing it back to Ted.

"How are you feeling, baby?" Her dad asked, worry clearly etched in his voice.

Ted turned on the lamp on her bedside table and arranged her pillows. She leaned back on the headboard, her pillows were now propped behind her so that she'd be comfortable. She sighed and answered honestly, "it still hurts."

"I'll fetch your dinner and then you should drink your meds," Ted remarked as he stood, heading for the door. "Alden dropped by earlier bringing ice cream. Would you like some? Rio does make great ice cream."

At the mention of his name, Maine's face lit up a bit.

"He came?"

"He wanted to see you," her father explained. "But Jenny wouldn't let him. She wanted you to rest. Alden looked like a lost puppy when he came back with the ice cream, asking again if he can see you. But Jenny was adamant that you should not be disturbed."

Maine's face fell. She had hoped that they'd let him see her even if she was sleeping. She knew that he would be worried for her right now. Ted walked back and sat at her bed.

"It was a good thing I got home already," Ted continued as he saw the reaction of his daughter. "I made him promise that you shouldn't wake up if I let him see you. I only gave him five minutes so he stayed by your side for that long."

"How is he, dad?" Maine asked as the light returned in her eyes when she found out that they let Alden see her.

"He's worried for you," he replied. "He blames himself for your relapse."

"He shouldn't be," Maine remarked in a huff, her eyebrows furrowed. "Did you tell him that Doc Burnz said that this was natural?"

"I did," Ted answered. "And Jenny mentioned that he was able to catch Dr. Vega before he left. But you can't blame him for worrying. He's been your constant companion when you do your activities for the past couple of months. He would feel responsible for you."

"I'm worried that he's worried," Maine remarked and took a deep breath. She cringed when she felt a stab of pain on her chest. A tear fell down her cheeks which Ted immediately wiped off. He hated seeing her in pain.

"Alden's waiting for you to reach him on the radio," he said, reaching for the two-way radio and handing it to her. "I'll go get your dinner ready while you talk to him."

He kissed Maine on her forehead and stood. He was on his way out when Maine called him.

"Dad," she said. "What did Alden do when he was here?"

"We only gave him five minutes, baby," he explained. "He came in, sat by your bed. He held your hand and just stayed like that until he had to leave. He kissed your forehead before he stood and went home. He was really worried about you."

"Did he sing while he was here?"

"No, baby," he replied. "He was just silent the whole time."

Despite her feeling pain on her chest, Maine smiled and felt a blush starting. Alden came. He was worried and he came. Despite the pain she was feeling, knowing that he was there, made her feel better. Although she wondered why he didn't sing. He usually does when they were on the radio and she wasn't feeling well.

After her dad left to get her dinner, she started clicking on the talk button on her radio. Alden immediately responded.

"Hey!" He exclaimed. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," she answered. "But the pain is still here."

"Is there anything I can do to help ease the pain?"

Maine paused and thought for a moment. Then she said, "do you have your guitar back?"

"My what?"

"Your guitar," Maine replied. "Did your friend give it back to you?"

"Why?"

"I was hoping you'd sing for me."

"Hold that thought."

There was a long pause from Alden's side. She wondered what was taking so long. Maine's dad already returned with her dinner when he came back.

"Sorry," Alden said. "I was just grabbing my guitar from the other room. Give me another moment."

There was silence once more. Maine was patiently waiting for him to get back, her dad leaving her with her dinner. Then she heard strumming from the other end and Alden started to sing...

🎶This time away brings me even closer
So much to say, I've been thinking over
All the things you do to make me smile
I see your face around every corner
Each passing day gets a little longer
Can't fall asleep, so I count the miles

As sure as the sun going down
I'll always be around

I'm afraid of living here without you
My years were made to wrap my life around you
When I'm away, our souls are tied

As sure as the waves crash to the shore
I'll always be yours
I'll always be yours, oh

I'm in the dark, and there's a light that's shining
In Central Park, where all the ghosts are hiding
This city spark starts to fade

As sure as there are stars up above
You'll always be loved

And as sure as gravity pulling us down
I'll always be around
I'll always be around...🎶

His voice was a bit distant. It was always like that whenever he sang to her. It was probably because the radio wasn't near him while he was playing, Maine thought.

But she loved it. She loved his voice. She loved hearing him play the guitar. It calmed her somewhat. And the pain on her chest lessened as well.

If only she could convince him to bring his guitar on one of their bike rides, she thought.

"Do you like it?" Alden asked.

"It's beautiful," she answered with a sigh. "You made it?"

There was a pause before he replied, "It's an original composition."

Maine could hear the reluctance in his voice but didn't mind.

"The song's for you," Alden remarked but again his voice was a bit distant. "I really hope you liked it, Maine."

"I love it, Alden!" She exclaimed. "Thank you so much!"

"I'm glad," he replied. "Do you think they'll let me see you tomorrow?"

"I'm sure I'll be well enough to take visitors," she replied with a smile.

"Great! I'll see you tomorrow then."

Before she could answer, Ted came back with ice cream. Maine smiled once more as she reached the bowl of the sweet dessert.

"Yes!" She exclaimed. "See you tomorrow. And bring more ice cream.

-oo-

Author's note:
Disclaimer:The song is not an original composition. It's "Central Park" by Lifehouse from their "Out Of The Wasteland" album released in 2015.