Chapter 95

"Jase? Maine is asking if she can speak with you."

They were heading back to Manila from Milan. It was their longer leg of the journey, so Richard had control with Jerald assisting him. He was about to let Jerald rest up with Sam when Martin knocked and poked his head on the door to the cockpit.

"Seriously, Jase," Jerald said after Martin came in. "Maine can come in and out of this room whenever she pleases. She is your girlfriend after all."

"Just because Valeen does that all the time," Martin remarked. "Doesn't mean Maine should too. At least there's one couple in this team that can separate work and play. Sam, you and Patricia should follow the Captain and Maine. I don't have any problem with them while they're working."

"Low blow, Martin," Jerald replied with a fake frown on his face. "Val and I do our best to be discreet."

"Apparently, Je," Sam laughed. "You guys aren't discreet enough."

"You're making it sound like Maine and I are a problem for you outside of work, Martin," Richard said as he gave his Head FA a questioning look.

"I do have a problem with the both of you," he said and quickly hurried to continue before Richard went to speak again. "You don't kiss and tell. I don't get any reading from either of you on how naughty you get to be in bed! I also have a problem with the hotel rooms. Since when have they become so sound proof?!?"

Richard just looked at Martin, his mouth agape, wanting to speak but unable to say anything.

"All you need to do is observe the Captain, Martin," Jerald said with a smirk. "Believe me. He hasn't had any."

"How do you know?"

"He has mood swings," he answered matter-of-factly. "It's subtle but if you pay very close attention, you'd notice it."

"You are so lucky I'm flying this plane," muttered Richard.

Sam chortled and said, "there's already a running bet on when you're going to score. Marc's and Adam's team joined in that pool. A lot of the betters think it will be this Christmas. Marc thinks it will happen in New York. Tom, George and I think it will be on New Year."

"I think it will be in Paris," Martin piped in.

"Sam," Jerald said. "Write down Martin for Paris."

Richard shook his head and just muttered, "don't you guys have anything better to do than bet on my sex life? Maine's right outside, for Chuck's sake!"

"Your Supernatural reference makes me proud, Jase," sai Martin fondly. "Maine mentioned that you guys are doing catch up marathons. Speaking of, go talk to her already."

"Did she mention why she needed to see me?"

"No," he replied. "But I think it has something to do with one of the passengers in the Economy section. A seven year old is having tantrums and Maine's assigned to his aisle."

"Can't you assign her to Business or First Class all the time?"

"She insists on being assigned to Economy," Martin replied. "Which is actually good because that area is the best training ground for the FAs. And she's doing well considering she's fairly new."

Richard sighed and prepared to stand, "Je, you have control. Sam take my place and assist while I check on this."

He stood and Sam immediately took his place in the seat beside Jerald. Then Richard followed Martin out of the cockpit. They found Maine with Valeen and George, talking in hush tones. They could hear a child in the background crying.

"Captain!" George said surprised that Valeen's head also shot up in attention. Only Maine just looked at him timidly when he came out.

Martin gave a look that had George and Valeen head immediately towards the Business Class section, leaving the three of them alone.

"Is everything alright, Maine?" Richard started, worry etched on his face. Maine never asks for him whenever they were airborne. It would really have to be an emergency or something very urgent.

"I need a huge favor," Maine started.

"I would need to know the favor first," he replied cautiously.

"That's a first, Jase," Martin said. "I'd have thought Maine could get away with anything with you."

"She made me promise to read and finish 'Twilight'," Richard remarked and folded his arms across his chest. "I can't make that mistake again. The next time she might ask me to read 'Fifty Shades'."

"You don't need to read that," muttered Maine. "You're way better than Christian Grey."

"What was that, Maine?"

"Nothing, Martin."

Richard cleared his throat and said, "Maine, the favor? I still need to fly the plane, Heart."

Martin bit his knuckles to keep from screaming his giddiness when Richard called Maine by her term of endearment. It was rare to hear them whenever they were at work. Richard and Maine looked at him oddly when he once again gave out the strangled cat cry.

As if on cue, the cry of the child in the economy section became louder. Maine sighed and looked back at Richard.

"He was fine when I left him," she said softly. "Is it possible to give him a short tour inside the cockpit? He's restless and it's his first time on a plane. His parents already let him try the games and I got him some drawing materials. He was fine when I left him, but you know how kids are. Confined spaces isn't really for them. And we have about 16 more hours of travel time left."

"Tour the cockpit?"

"Yes," Maine replied imploringly. "Is it possible?"

"There really isn't much to see in there, Maine."

"But it has a bigger view of the skies," she argued. "Make him see stars. That might cheer him up."

Richard thought for a few moments, hearing the cry of the child from Economy. It was already making the passengers from First Class uneasy. Any moment now, he knew that there would be complaints and they really don't want that. Especially when they were the model flight team. He finally sighed in resignation. He knew he wouldn't get any sleep today.

He sighed again and said, "you're going to owe me big time for this, Mendoza."

"I'll owe you an arm and a leg and the rest of my life if we can get this kid to stop crying, Captain," she said desperately.

"Let's start with me choosing what movie we'll be watching on movie night," he replied. He saw Maine's resigned face as she knew exactly what movie they would be watching and he gave a smirk. He added before he turned towards the cockpit, "get the kid. I'll inform Je and Sam about our little visitor."