Chapter 98

They finally arrived in New York. Upon their arrival and once they have settled in their hotel room, the first place Richard took Maine was the bookstore he frequent when he was still living there. It was a great decision, as both he and Maine took their time browsing through the different selection of books. Maine was really happy to see books stacked with titles from different genre and Richard was just nostalgic. They spent the whole afternoon there, with Richard just enjoying himself as he watched Maine browsed through the different titles.

It was early evening when they finally left the bookstore, each one with a bag of books they've purchased from the store. Richard took her to a local diner where he frequent when he wasn't able to cook dinner for him and his dad. The owner of the diner recognized him and regaled Maine with stories of Richard when he was younger, much to his embarrassment. But Maine enjoyed it, and was really happy to have gotten a glimpse of who he was as a kid and teenager.

After dinner, they dropped off their books and headed for the Empire State Building. At around ten in the evening, there weren't that many people on the viewing deck. They were also surrounded by couples like them, and had actually spotted Jerald and Valeen tucked in a secluded corner, making out. They discreetly left them alone and went to one of those paid telescopes, very far away from them. Maine was ecstatic. The view at the Empire State was magnificent at night. Everywhere in whatever angle, the amazing skylines were illuminated in bright colors.

They were by the railings looking out at the city below, still fully alive by the bright lights and busy streets. Richard was holding Maine in front of him, his chest on her back, his arms wrapped around her waist, her head leaning back by his shoulder. They just enjoyed the view in silent companionship, just happy to be in each others arms.

Suddenly, Richard began to sing.

🎶You take the weight
You take it all
You can take everything
I'm feeling so tired
And for so long
I need you now
I need you next to me

It doesn't matter where you go
You're still a part of me
I don't know much
But I know you are always somewhere
I'm telling you from the heart
You know I love you most
If I break or fall apart
You're always somewhere close

And I can't wake up from falling down
Yeah, I can be hard on me
But in the end I'm back again
Never too far from knowing
Where we are, yeah

It doesn't matter where you go
You're still a part of me
I don't know much
But I know you are always somewhere
I'm telling you from the heart
You know I love you most
If I break or fall apart
You're always somewhere close

Whenever I feel lost and all alone
You're always somewhere close
I'm telling you from the heart
You know I love you most
If I break or fall apart
You're always somewhere close
You're always somewhere close🎶

"Is that a new song?"

"Yes," he replied as he nuzzled her hair, inhaling her scent. "It just came to me. I still need to fix a few kinks though."

"I think it was just right," she said as cuddled closer in his embrace. She felt his warmth seeping to her, loving his presence, his nearness.

She heard him chuckle and he replied, his breath tickling her ear. "You would say that, my Heart. You're my girlfriend. I have yet to hear you say that one of my songs suck."