Chapter 11

Maine recovered quickly and after the required week of bedrest, she once again continued her afternoon walks with Alden. As per doctor's orders, the walks were extended up to 8-minutes. But tried as she might to add two more minutes to their walks, Alden never relented.

The bike ride though was another story.

Alden got so worried with what happened at the hospital that he kept making excuses to Maine so that he wouldn't take her biking. It got to the point where he joined his classmates one Saturday at the mall to watch a movie and just hang out, something he rarely did.

Their group, consisted of three of Alden's closest classmates and him, just exited the cinema and were heading for the food court. Alden was a few paces behind his classmates who were still excitedly discussing the movie. They passed by a toy store and Alden stopped and unconsciously went inside to check on the new PSP that was recently out in the market.

He was inquiring about the price and the specs when his classmates arrived.

"Alden!" One of them called out. "You disappeared on us. We thought you were right behind us."

"Sorry, Mike," he answered as they came near. "I really wanted to check this unit."

"Woah!" Exclaimed another of their classmate named Jeff. He casually put his arm around Alden's shoulders and continued, "did I hear you right? Mr. Cheapskate Faulkerson checking out a new unit when he still has a working PSP? Who are you and what have you done with our friend?"

"It's not for me," Alden replied casually, easing out of his friend's grip on his shoulders. "It's for a friend of mine."

"Really?" Mike retorted. "Which among us is lucky enough to get a new PSP for Christmas?"

"Sorry," Alden replied. "I'm not planning on getting you guys anything. I'm thinking of buying one for Maine on her birthday. It's still three months away but better think of a good gift right now than panic at the last minute."

"Maine?" Another friend, Eric, asked. "Who's Maine? Alden, you have a girlfriend and you never told us?"

"Wait...what?" Mike added. "Alden has a girlfriend?"

"I pity the poor soul who said 'yes' to you," Jeff teased and once again tried putting his arm around Alden to tease him some more.

Alden backed away. He pushed his glasses on the ridge of his nose to hide his embarrassment. He knew that his face was turning red as his classmates continued to tease him.

He quietly thanked the attendant who was assisting him a while ago and exited the store quickly, ignoring his friends. His classmates followed him outside, calling out to him and trying to catch up.

When they finally caught up with him, they blocked his path and cornered him so he wouldn't get away. Alden let out an exasperated sigh and said, "I thought you guys were hungry?"

"Real food later," Jeff answered. "I'm hungrier for information. It's shocking to hear that Alden Faulkerson actually has a girlfriend."

"Yup," Mike agreed. "I want to know who this mysterious girl is that the cheapskate Alden Faulkerson is willing to buy a 10k pesos worth of console unit?"

"And when are we going to meet her?" Eric added.

Alden gave out another exasperated sigh and pushed his glasses up his nose again, stalling for time. Finally he answered, "guys, she's not my girlfriend...yet."

All three of his friends raised their eyebrows in question simultaneously. If he wasn't nervous about their conversation, Alden would have found it comical.

"I mean," he continued. His words flowed freely because of his nervousness, he started babbling, "I did already asked her parents permission to court her. But they said that I should wait until at least she's sixteen. Then they would allow me to formally court her."

"Dude," Jeff said, giving him a questioning look. "You're courting a child?"

Alden rolled his eyes and gave Jeff a whack on the head.

"Get your mind off the gutter, dude," he retorted. "She's turning fourteen. She's not that young. I'm only three years older."

"How did you meet her anyway?" Eric asked. His curiosity peaked. He'd known Alden since he'd moved to Laguna. He was Alden's first friend there and the only one who knew of Alden's secrets. He knew that Alden was shy around girls on the rare occasion when they hung out, so finding out about Maine was a welcome improvement.

Alden sighed once more and related how he met Maine. He tried not to share too much but just gave them the summarized version of their meeting, her condition and the friendship that they have built in the short period of time that they've met.

When Alden was done, his classmates were silent for a few moments until Mike spoke, "are you sure you're not pitying her? Her condition seems bad."

Alden scowled at his remark but before he could reply, Mike added, "don't take it the wrong way, Alden. I meant no offense. But you see her everyday. See the struggle that she goes through. Are you sure it's not out of pity that you're doing what you're doing?"

Alden was silent for a moment, recalling the conversation he had with Maine's dad, Ted, when he asked permission to court her. Ted had the same sentiments as Mike, that Alden was only feeling that way for Maine because she was sick.

Alden shook his head and looked at each of his classmate with determination in his eyes. He replied the same statement he told Ted that day, "how could I pity someone I admire? Maine is strong. For someone so young, she has put on a brave face, never complained about her situation. Maine always has a smile on her face and tries to do her best to be better. She's a fighter. And she amazes me everyday. How could I pity someone I could actually look up to as an inspiration of courage and strength?"

His friends just looked at him silently once more until Jeff said breaking the tension, "yup! You've got it bad, dude. Poor Maine. She would have to put up with your corniness."

The others, including Alden laughed at his statement. Alden was now the one who reached out and put an arm around Jeff's shoulder.

"You know," Alden said. "I think you're just hungry. Let's find a good place to eat now, shall we?"

"Yeah," Jeff replied. "I worked up an appetite. You're treating us, right?"

"Of course not!" Alden answered. "I'm saving up for a PSP, remember?"

"Ah...Cheapskate Alden has returned!"