Chapter 102

They left the hotel and was walking towards the Train Station in Gare Du Nord with Richard taking bites of the croissant that Maine saved for him. They were in companionable silence for a time, each with their thoughts of the incident that happened at the hotel lobby.

Giselle kept silent and left in a huff after Maine told her off. Her friend, Linette, apologized for her friend's actions while Ardee reprimanded them both for unbecoming behavior.

Richard kept hold of Maine's hand while they walked towards the subway station. He held her hand tighter when they entered the station as there was an influx of people who were coming out of the station. Maine returned the gesture as if afraid they might separate.

After purchasing two 24-hour tickets for the both of them, Richard led her to the right platform where they could take the metro to their first stop of the day. It took about two train rides and a short walk to get to the bottom steps of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, popularly known as "Sacre Coeur".

After purchasing tickets for the funicular car, he led Maine to the lines of people waiting to go up to the Basilica. It was still morning so there weren't that many people on the line. Maine was then provided with a good view of Paris from where they were standing, Richard just let her be as she soaked up the sight before her. They attended the morning mass after and then Richard led her to another entrance where they can climb up to the dome. He was happy just watching Maine as her face lit up at the sight before her.

Maine insisted on taking the stairs on their way down the hill. Richard kept a slow pace for them, his hand holding hers, their fingers intertwined. She didn't mind the pace as she knew that they would be walking most of the time, much like what they did in Rome before. Richard was very accommodating, making sure that the pace was right for her, slowing down when he noticed that she was having difficulty. But he never let go of her hand as they reached the bottom steps and walked the short distance to the Metro for their next stop of the day.

It took two Metros to reach Notre Dame Cathedral. And unlike Sacre Ceour, there was already a huge crowd going in and out of the church. Richard kept Maine in front of him, his arms wrapped around her protectively as they slowly made their way inside. He kept her near as he whispered some trivia about Notre Dame to her ear. Maine did her best to concentrate on the wonders that she saw in the Cathedral and the trivia that she heard, and not Richard's breath tickling her ear. She was just happy to be in his arms.

Richard then led Maine outside the courtyard so they can climb up the bell tower. While in line, Richard's phone alarm went off. He immediately excused himself and rushed to the nearest bread shop. When he returned, Maine already moved ten paces forward.

He handed her one of the paninnis that he bought and said, "eat up. You need to take your meds. The lines are a bit slow today so don't rush."

Maine just smiled and started eating. Richard did the same. While they were in line, a group of French teens struck up a conversation with them. Richard was their translator, making sure Maine was part of the conversation as he translated to her what the group was talking about. The conversation flowed nicely, even with the slight language barrier between Maine and the teens. It passed the time for the group that they barely noticed the line moving and they finally headed up the bell tower. Richard kept behind her, keeping her informed with the bits of trivia he could remember about the Notre Dame's bell tower.

When they were back outside the cathedral, the teens they've befriended wanted to invite them out, but Richard politely refused. Though disappointed, the teens relented but got both their contact numbers for future meetings. As the couple walked the streets of Paris on their way to Maison Berthillon, a local shop near Notre Dame that's famous for their hot chocolate and ice cream, Richard continued to tell her bits of trivia.