Chapter 42

He offered her the bottled water that Abbie got for her. Maine received it willingly and took careful gulps.

"How are you feeling?" Richard asked. He looked really worried.

"My chest feels heavy," Maine admitted. "I'm having palpitations and I feel so dizzy."

Richard shot a disapproving glare at Jerald who looked at Maine worriedly, already regretting his practical joke.

"Do you have your doctor's number?" He asked as he tried to soothe Maine by rubbing his hand up and down her back slowly.

Maine grabbed her phone and unlocked it, then handed the device to Richard who scrolled down her contact list and found the number he was looking for. Fishing out his own phone from his pocket, he stood up and dialed Dr. Vega's number. Martin took his place beside Maine as he walked a few steps away. Dr. Vega answered after the third ring.

"Hello Dr. Vega," he started. "I'm really sorry to disturb you this late. You might not remember me but this is Jason Faulkerson, Alden's brother. I called because of your patient, Maine Mendoza."

Maine tried to keep her eyes open as she watched Richard talk to her doctor over the phone. She was so busy watching him that she didn't notice Jerald sat on the seat next her that was vacated by Ardee. She only noticed when she heard Martin acknowledge him.

"I'm really sorry, Maine," Jerald began. His voice very remorseful. "We used to play pranks on new FAs who join our team for the first time. Everyone warned me. I just didn't pay attention. I'm really sorry."

Maine could only give him a reassuring smile that she forgave him. She couldn't really concentrate on what was happening around her as she felt like the place was spinning. She barely noticed Richard walking back and once again kneeling in front of her, still talking to Doc Burnz and explaining to him what happened. Maine didn't see how Richard never tore his glance from her, and his worried look sent Martin into a giggling fit. His hand was holding hers, his thumb drawing circles at the back of her palm to help her relax. Richard still didn't take his eyes off her when the call finally ended.

"Jase..."

"Not now, Je," Maine heard him say but his chocolate brown eyes didn't leave her. "I am grateful for the back-up, but you've gone too far this time."

She remembered the even dead-pan tone. Maine heard it before. It was that first time when Alden got mad at her. She remembered he didn't shout or gave her an angry tone. It was the silent anger. The voice devoid of emotion. The voice that scared not only Jerald but Martin as well. She realized it was another trait the Faulkerson twins shared.

Captain Richard Jason Faulkerson rarely got mad, but when he did everyone should stay clear. And First Officer Jerald Usman knew to keep his mouth shut.

Richard was fuming. He didn't want anything bad happen to Maine and he blamed himself for what Maine was feeling right now. He didn't want to lash out either. His initial anger over Jerald's prank had subsided, but looking at Maine's condition at that moment sent him fuming. He kept his anger in check and looking at Maine gave a calming effect.

"Doc said we just need to wait it out," Richard explained as he reached out and caressed Maine's cheek. He still looked worried. "The alcohol in your system isn't that much or so Jerald claimed. But I need to take you to the hospital tomorrow to have Doc Burnz check on you."

Maine could only nod in understanding. Her body has started to feel heavy as well. She could barely keep her head up.

"Let's get you home?" He asked softly.

Maine could only nod, not trusting herself to speak.

"Can you stand?" Richard asked. "Or do you want me to carry you?"

"I suggest you carry her, Jase," Martin piped in. "She looks so pale."

Richard heard the undertone from Martin's statement that he shot him a look of annoyance. Martin just gave him a smirk and discreetly nodded back towards Maine's direction, urging Richard to focus more on Maine and not his innuendos.

Richard sighed and returned his focus back on Maine who was attempting to stand on her own without assistance. He immediately followed and was standing very close to her in case she needed it. She was able to stand on her own for at least five seconds before she leaned her body towards Richard and wrapped her arms around his waist for support.

"I could walk," she whispered. "But I would need to lean on you."

"Not a problem," he answered softly as he placed his arm on her shoulder and she leaned her head on his. Despite the situation, Maine's body being fitted snuggly to his made him feel that she belonged there. A small smile crept up his lips at the thought.

"We'll just see you on Friday then," Martin said as the rest of the group were also calling it a night. "Feel better, Maine. I don't want you to miss Milan."

The rest of the team said their good byes, Jerald being the last of them as he attempted to once more apologize to both Richard and Maine. Maine just smiled at him while Richard just nodded. He was still upset with his friend, but he just needed to cool off before he could fully accept his apology.

Richard took slow, steady steps to their parking area with Maine tucked beside him. He didn't hurry her, slowing down when he felt like she couldn't keep up. Her full weight was on him, but he didn't feel the burden. Instead, he enjoyed the moment of closeness between them.

By the time they've reached Richard's car, Maine gave up trying to stay awake. Once she was deposited safely in the passenger seat, she closed her eyes. She barely even noticed Richard reaching for her seatbelt, buckling it for her or the lingering look he gave her once the seatbelt was properly fastened.