Chapter 61

Thirty minutes later, Martin and Richard left the conference room with a bedimpled smile etched across Richard's face.

"I cannot believe you pulled that off," said Richard as they headed back to the trio who were waiting for them.

"I never really got the point of the rotation for international flights," replied Martin with the same smile on his face minus the dimple. "I get why they do that for local flights as they only have one route per rotation, but the international flights don't have a set route. Besides, everyone starts in local flights. You get to know everyone there, so if the point of the rotation in the international flights is for everyone to get to know each other, it's a moot point. And the team needs to have a level of trust with each other. If we keep rotating, how can we reach that level. Besides, it's the FAs and reserve pilots that keep rotating. I take pity on them all the time. Especially on a new rotation when they barely have time to rest up for the next scheduled flight. And rules are, pilots and FAs should be given a minimum of 24hours of rest before the next flight."

"You've also managed to make our current flight team one of the experimental group," Richard said as he shook his head in disbelief. "You've planned all this from the very beginning."

"Well," Martin remarked and stopped before they could reach the trio. "I've submitted that proposal months ago but I only got wind that they were considering it last month before the rotation shift change. I hand picked my chosen FAs, with the exception of Maine of course, and suggested that Sam be your reserve pilot. It was a blessing in disguise that Tanya switched with Maine. Now I have my chosen ones ready for this experiment."

"Sam would be a little upset that you didn't pick Patricia in this team," Richard remarked.

"Don't worry about that," he replied. "I told you, I have this planned out. The experiment starts on next rotation. The next rotation, our flight team will be the same except for Ardee. I've already recommended her for Head FA and with the new batch of planes coming in in two months, she'll be needed. I've already spoken to her. That's why I've been constantly training her this rotation. That's why she's assigned in first class and I'm maker her do the announcements. She's ready for the next step in her career. With Ardee moving up, I'm getting Patricia to replace her."

"You really thought of everything," Richard smiled.

"Well, not everything," said Martin. "I mean, Maine was a welcome change. Can you imagine the team if we still have Tanya with us? She would have found a way to get you to bed with her. She had been very upset when you didn't so much as look at her in the staff room when she was part of the team. She'd been sleeping around with every single available pilots. You guys are like a conquest to her. I think you're the only one she didn't get. And maybe Cedric, but I'm not really sure. And also Mike, but then he's gay. Oh, and Marc. Thank God I never had a problem with you!"

"So why did you choose Tanya to begin with if you know you'll have a problem with her?"

"We were gathering evidence against her and Greg," Martin explained. "The heads were trying to snuff out that manager while they let me handle Tanya. One of two things could have happened, she clean up her act under my supervision or do something stupid, which she did. Tanya was promising when she started, I had hoped that I could set her right. I blame it on Greg actually. We got enough evidence against her and Greg to terminate them. And I got Maine as a sweet bonus. If Maine didn't arrive, I would be currently checking up the roster for Tanya's replacement. And you would still be miserable."

"We got lucky then," Richard smiled at his statement.

"I told you I was keeping Maine," Martin said in delight.

"And I love you for it, Martin," he replied and gave the older man a hug. "You don't know how thankful I am that you've actually done this. I've been wracking my brains on how to make the most out of the two months I would have with her until next rotation."

"Just make me and David godparents to your first child," Martin said. "Then we'll call it even."

"She hasn't even said yes to me yet."

"I hate it sometimes that your parents raised you very well," Martin grimaced. "But I know something's changed since your Rome trip. I know you too well, Jase. You're different. And it's not just because everybody found out about your little singing career in Milan. But I like what I see. Don't screw this up, Jase. There'll be hell to pay if you do."

"I won't," Richard replied. "Not with her. She's too important to me, for me to screw this up."

They started walking towards the trio once more and Richard saw Maine looked up, like she knew he was already near. He knew she felt that uncanny sensation at the back of her neck the same way he does when she was near. He smiled, as he felt his heart beat a bit faster, calling him home.

"Martin," he called before they reached the trio. "Will the buddies change on the next rotation?"

Martin raised an eyebrow in question as Richard gave him a mischievous grin. Finally, Martin giggled and shook his head in understanding.

"There is hope for you yet, Faulkerson," Martin said as he slid his arm around Richard's and they continued walking. "Would you like me to arrange this that you guys share the same hotel room too? Or just arrange an extra key for Maine so she can come in when everyone's asleep?"

"Let's not think that far ahead, Martin," Richard chuckled at the idea. "I just want Maine to be my responsibility so you guys won't worry like last time."

"Heaven forbid that I get to catch you two in an uncompromising position," muttered Martin in mock distaste, but was actually liking the idea of catching them off guard. "Don't make me regret this, Jase."

"Since when have I ever been a problem for you, Martin?"

"There's always a first time."