Chapter 23

****Kingdom**

Royal palace, Maicki.

His Highness, Abu Sani Badri, Emir of Maicki, lay on a cushion of the softest fabric as he waited anxiously for the arrival of Du Rabi.

People know Du Rabi as Sheikh Sagir Anta, the most respected Malam in Maicki. He is known to be generous, kind, and trustworthy. Whenever he gives the 'wa'azi', people will pack there in droves. Even his 'almajirai' are respected because of the integrity of his character. Everything about the sheikh screams innocence.

His highness believed it once too. He used to love the wa'azi the sheikh gives out. He was never severe. He was always at a point between trying to show you the beauty of Jannah and the scorching heat of hellfire. How you can sail to Jannah easily with faith and how easily you could fall into jahannam. He is the kind of Sheikh that could make you feel like needing to follow his every word. Because you believe in his righteousness...

His highness learned a most disheartening truth. It is only by Allah's mercy that he had been able to see the person for who he is.

An evil fraud.

People who know the sheikh for who he is know him as Du Rabi. His highness was fortunate to unveil the truth, but sometimes, the truth comes with a huge burden.

For what he is about to do, he is certain, he will die. But there's no other way if he is to preserve the Badri tree. He cannot watch his family fall just like the Alkalis did all those years ago.

The only way is to pass on the reigns of this cursed throne back to where it originally belongs.

Back to the Alkalis.

It is fortunate that one true heir still remains.

Saif Alkali.

So his highness asked for an audience with Du Rabi. When the man arrived, his highness stared at his evil eyes cloaked with an innocence that fools people still. The man is a devil in disguise.

The scariest are the ones who excel in showing the perfect opposite of their character and misleading people with it.

"Could there be a reason you called, your highness?" Du Rabi asked haughtily. He is too arrogant and his words always covey it when he isn't acting around people.

His highness felt his heart beating wildly in his chest. If he utters what he must, it is the end. Du Rabi will pick up the 'kasko' that he kept in order to control him and he will smash it to pieces. His highness knew he will only have at most one hour until he died. That is the time that will take Du Rabi to reach home.

He tried to be strong. In his final moments, he needs to show Du Rabi that royalty is not an ordinary gift. It is forever a signature in the blood. Something not just anyone can have. Even scum like him.

So he stared at Du Rabi in the eye and tried to convey that he was no longer afraid.

Du Rabi sensed his message but he reminded calm and confident.

"I will hand over my throne back to the founding family. The Alkalis will once again rule Maicki" he stated without a hint of hesitancy. It sounded like his words were law.

"The Alkalis will never rule this land again" Du Rabi negated insolently. He gave his highness a look of pure disappointment. "I am surprised you will break our promise. But it doesn't matter anymore. You chose to relinquish the throne. Whoever will rule will be decided by me" he stated it like a fact.

He's won too many times, he is getting cocky, his highness thought to himself.

Du Rabi is right. The moment a person sits on this cursed throne, one way or another, he dies on it.