“So we’re going to have a bunch of jet lag?” I asked.

“Only coming home,” she chirped.

“Great,” I said under my breath.

She was silent for the rest of the ride. Michael’s snoring mixed with the radio to make a blur of music. I tried desperately to fall asleep in the backseat but to no avail. Michael’s lucky, he can fall asleep virtually anywhere. It is at times like these when I wish I wasn’t such a light sleeper. Except for at my house, the creaking of the home has gotten my accustomed to being able to sleep through that. Thunder storms on the other hand….

I mouthed the words to the song on the radio. I feel like I can relate to Carrie Underwood’s Temporary Home. A couple weeks ago not so much. Now that I’ve shut the door on my mom and my sister’s the lyrics seem to fit me a bit more. Of course only in the sense where I’m the little boy going from home to home. I hope that it’ll just be a home, singular.

As we neared the airport Michael started to wake up again. I looked out my window to watch the planes take off and land. Some planes were bigger than others. I haven’t been on a plane in such a long time. Even when we did go on trips we drove more than we took a plane. Flying is kind of making me nervous, but you can’t drive to Hawaii.

Michael placed his hand on my knee. I gave a small smile to him. He frowned. He can read my emotions so well. I faked a bigger smile to try and show him I was fine. He wasn’t buying it. I rolled my eyes and looked out my window again. He squeezed my knee slightly. I shook his hand off.

Gwen parked the car in the parking garage. Michael was the first to jump out. Gwen got out and opened my door. The air was far too cold at the moment. I reluctantly stepped out of the car. The parking garage was filled with cars. Michael handed me my bag. I set it on the ground to let it roll around. No way am I lugging that thing around this airport.

Michael threw his duffle bag over his shoulder and casually draped his free arm around my shoulders. I snuggled closer to his body. He was a lot warmer than I was. Why does it have to be so cold? I guess I am ready for Hawaii and nice weather. My stomach growled and Michael laughed at me.

The sliding doors opened and a rush of heat hit me. I ran into the warm building. Sweet heaven. Michael trailed behind me. Gwen had printed out our tickets already so all we had to do is check our luggage. Maybe I can get something to eat after.

We stood in a short line to check our bags. There were a surprising amount of people in the airport, considering it’s not a holiday. Thankfully the line moved quick enough and we got rid of our bags. I was happy to get rid of my heavy burden. It just barely made it under the 50 pound rule. I should pack less.

Michael’s arm found it’s way to my shoulder again. I rested my head on his shoulder as we walked. He is my date for the wedding after all. Well, more of I’m his date to the wedding. Either way he is becoming my pillow on the plane. I don’t care how much he objects it.

Something in Michael’s pocket vibrated. I could feel it because it was on his left side, the side I was leaning on. He reached into his pocket and found his phone. He read something briefly and then handed it to me. I gave him a confused look.

“It’s Preston.” I was even more confused. Why would Preston be texting Michael?

I looked down at the phone screen. He had asked for me. I typed in “hi” and then closed his phone. A few minutes later it vibrated again. Pretty soon we were having a conversation. Michael was kind enough to make sure I didn’t run into anything.

We walked to security where the line was longer. My stomach grumbled again and I groaned. I hope this line just moves quickly. I continued my conversation with Preston as we waited in line. I could tell it was aggravating Michael. He kept moving frequently as if he wanted to punch someone. I could also tell by the scowl on his face that had replaced his usual smirk.