Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A car hit a puddle and the puddle hit me. It added to the rain and made it extremely cold. Someone has it out for me, I don’t know who I just know that there is someone out there trying to make my life miserable. Two more cars passed me. One car reminded me of Michael’s and I sighed. Why couldn’t he have picked his phone up?

I heard some screeching behind me and I glanced over my shoulder. The person did a neat u-turn and was headed back towards me. I continued to walk as the car approached. It slowed down and inched down the road next to me. I watched as the person rolled down the window. There was a very worried Michael.

“Bree?” His voice was shaky.

He looked at me expectantly. I couldn’t think, so I just got in the car. We sat in silence before he took off. I can tell that he noticed my wounds almost immediately. I watched out the window as we drove. I didn’t want to talk; I was all talked out for the day.

“Are you in pain?” his voice was a whisper.

I bit my lip; I didn’t want to lie to him but I didn’t want him to worry. The only way to do that is just twist the truth a little. “Not at the moment.” In truth, it didn't now.  Later, though, I would be in a lot of pain.

He didn’t say anything else until we were in his drive way. The car stared at the house and the big windows stared back. Michael touched my shoulder gently. “You’re lying, and that’s okay.” He got out of the car and marched into the house. I followed his lead.

The smell of Gwen’s cooking filled the whole house. I walked into the kitchen and found her cooking away. Michael was eating an apple as he watched his mom cook. Both of them noticed me walk in. Gwen turned around and gasped. She dropped the fork in her hand. Grease splattered everywhere, Gwen didn’t care. She came up to me and gingerly touched my face.

“W-what happened?” She asked; tears welling in her eyes.

“Nothing,” I sighed.

“Bree,” Michael started.

“A girl beat me up, okay?” I was more annoyed with the fact that they cared. Normally I would’ve been yelled at, normally my mom would think that it was all my fault. Tears welled in my eyes and slid down my cheeks. I turned around and ran up the stairs wincing at the pain from my ankle.

A few minutes of being in sweet silence I heard pounding footsteps. They were Michael's. I knew they were coming to me but I almost didn’t want them too. I wanted him to go back downstairs and eat with his mom and forget about me. Against my wishes Michael’s door opened. His footsteps lead to his bed. Then I was embraced. I let my tears flow freely; Michael didn’t seem to mind.

“Bree, why don’t you come downstairs? My mom has something to tell you.” I nodded and got up.

Michael’s hand was on my shoulder as I walked down the stairs. It was the first time I really noticed the house’s décor. It was kind of rustic and modern. The two themes didn’t really clash, they meshed perfectly. There would be a nice plasma T.V., and then there would be a grandfather clock. An old looking, but nicely polished coffee table with a very modern and comfy couch. It was a really nice home and I was happy that I could live here for a little bit.

Gwen was already sitting at the table and snacking on the dinner prepared. She smiled at us as we walked in. I sat down right across from her. She didn’t’ seem to be in any hurry to talk about my misfortune; that was okay with me. I took a bite when the conversation started.

“Now I know that you know about the wedding coming up, but I don’t think you know the location.” I looked up at Gwen. There was a blush on her face and she had a small half smile.