The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

READ: 03.12.17 - 10.12.17

BOOK: The Handmaid's Tale

AUTHOR: Margaret Atwood

GENRE: Modern Classic/Dystopian

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

REVIEW: Finally, finally, I have read this incredible book. I have waited so long to get my hands on a copy of this, and I finally decided to splash my very limited amount of cash to buy it. And I was not let down.

This book is masterfully written, and I felt a whole range of emotions throughout the book: pity, anger, sadness, numbness. It was a breathtaking read which I know will stay with me throughout the next few years of my life, reminding me how lucky I am to have the freedom I do.

The plot was compelling, complex, and never grew dull. It was a story of flawed characters, of lost hope, and of holding onto memories to get through tough times. The world building was excellent, and it has to be one of my favourite dystopias ever.

FINAL VERDICT: The hype is completely called for, it is a marvellous book which everyone should read.

RATING: 10/10