Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda

READ: 05.11.17 - 06.11.17

BOOK: Autobiography of a Geisha

AUTHOR: Sayo Masuda

GENRE: Autobiography

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The glamorous world of big-city geisha is familiar to many readers, but little has been written of the life of hardship and pain led by the hot-springs-resort geisha. Indentured to geisha houses by families in desperate poverty, deprived of freedom and identity, these young women lived in a world of sex for sale, unadorned by the trappings of wealth and celebrity.

Sayo Masuda has written the first full-length autobiography of a former hot-springs-resort geisha. Masuda was sent to work as a nursemaid at the age of six and then was sold to a geisha house at the age of twelve. In keeping with tradition, she first worked as a servant while training in the arts of dance, song, shamisen, and drum. In 1940, aged sixteen, she made her debut as a geisha.

REVIEW: I came into this autobiography with no real knowledge of geishas other than what I had seen in mainstream media which I already knew was an inaccurate depiction. This book was so insightful, so raw and full of emotion, that it moved me to tears at some points.

The simplicity of the book made it feel so powerful because it was the blunt and honest truth. I cannot imagine the amount of strength Sayo Masuda must have had to go through so much suffering and pain, to still carry on searching for happiness.

The last few pages really warmed my heart, and I think I have taken away a real appreciation for what small acts of kindness can really do for some people, and has inspired me to go more out of my way to help others.

FINAL VERDICT: A really worthwhile read, which was graphic and hard to read in places but so moving.

RATING: 8.5/10