We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

READ: 07.07.17

BOOK: We Were Liars

AUTHOR: E. Lockhart

GENRE: YA Fiction

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged.
We are cracked and broken.
A tale of love and romance.
A tale of tragedy.
Which are lies?
Which is truth?
You decide?

Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family. No one is a criminal. No one is an addict. No one is a failure.

The Sinclairs are athletic, tall, and handsome. We are old-money Democrats. Our smiles are wide, our chins square, and our tennis serves aggressive.

It doesn't matter if divorce shreds the muscles of our hearts so that they will hardly beat without a struggle. It doesn't matter if trust-fund money is running out; if credit card bills go unpaid on the kitchen counter. It doesn't matter if there's a cluster of pill bottles on the bedside table.

REVIEW: I really wasn't sure what to expect coming into this book. I still am quite skeptical of YA fiction, but I was completely engrossed in this book as you tell by the fact that I read it in one day! The plot was so compelling, and there was always a sense that something bigger was happening. I fell in love, head over heels, with the characters presented in the book just because they all felt so real. Like I could look over and see Gat smiling at me.

But real talk, don't read this if don't deal well with plot twists. Because the twist in this book just comes out to kill you and I promise you won't be prepared. It took me a solid five minutes to process what I was reading.

I've seen some people complain about the style of writing in the book, but for me I really liked how sometimes the regular prose was broken up with stories and more poetic lines.

FINAL VERDICT: I just really liked it, and I think it's shown me that YA fiction can be just as emotional and exciting as adult fiction. I wish it was longer, and I just need like 800 pages of the group's expeditions prior the incident. There is so much I want to say about this book, but I can't without giving it all away!

RATING: 8.5/10