One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

READ: 24.06.17 - 26.06.17

BOOK: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

AUTHOR: Ken Kesey

GENRE: Allegorical novel/ Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Tyrannical Nurse Ratched rules her ward in Oregon State mental hospital with a strict and unbending routine, unopposed by her patients who remain covered by mind-numbing medication and electric shock therapy. But her regime is interrupted by the arrival of McMurphy who resolves to oppose her rules on behalf of his fellow inmates. His struggle is seen through the eyes of Chief Bromden, a seemingly mute half-Indian patient who understands McMurphy's heroic attempt to do battle with the powers that keep them imprisoned.

REVIEW: I really, really liked this book for so many different reasons. It had a really great cast of characters who were all extremely interesting and complex in their own ways and I wish that the book had been longer to explore what happened to these characters after the point where novel finishes. The plot was enjoyable and full of humour and action; while there were many darker elements to the novel there was always someone (usually McMurphy) who was cracking a joke.

I felt like I really was with them when they were going on their adventures, and I could visualise myself sitting beside them all while the drama unfolded. It was interesting to see the story told through Chief Bromden's eyes, someone who is both involved in the events of the story but is somewhat of a passive observer. The prose was rich in description, and sometimes hallucinations, which made it a very different experience to read.

FINAL VERDICT: LOVED IT.

RATING: 9/10