It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

READ: 18.11.17 - 23.11.17

BOOK: It's Kind Of A Funny Story

AUTHOR: Ned Vizzini

GENRE: Young Adult Fiction

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transgender sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

REVIEW: I've always heard great things about this book so I thought I would pick it up to see for myself. And I really liked it. I thought this book was charmingly funny but with a very real and raw edge to it, which meant that the story felt realistic and like it wasn't shying away from the harsh reality of clinical depression. I really enjoyed learning about the characters in the hospital like Noelle and Humble, and that was my favourite part about the book.

If I'm honest, I didn't exactly engage the whole way through with the story and it's not the kind of thing that I usually enjoy all that much. But towards the end I really liked it, and thought it was excellent story and character development.

FINAL VERDICT: A surprisingly funny, witty, and interesting book all about mental health.

RATING: 8.5/10