Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

READ: 09.06.17 - 12.06.17

BOOK: Empire of Storms

AUTHOR: Sarah J. Maas

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Blood will run. Dreams will shatter. An army must rise. The assassin-queen has sworn not to turn her back on her kingdom again. Especially when she might be the only one who can raise an army to keep the Dark King from unleashing his beasts on them all. What, or who, is she willing to sacrifice to spare her world from being torn apart?

REVIEW: This is the last instalment in this series that is out so far (there's a book coming out in 2018 I think), and not going to lie I was pretty underwhelmed. You see the thing with this book, and the last book, is that they felt like they were building up to something bigger and that thing never seems to come. This book was a whole build up to something that didn't even happen!

I did enjoy some parts, I loved the character development of characters like Manon and Elide and enjoyed their backstories, but to be honest Celaena annoys me now. She doesn't seem to think of anyone else before she does stuff, and I know it's for 'their own good' but she needs to tell people what the hell she is doing!

Some parts felt forced; without going into too much detail, all the sexual scenes were really uncomfortable to read and I don't think were necessary. Like Celaena was never painted out to be a hyper-sexual person in the first books really, and all of a sudden bam it's a huge part of her character. And like it would have been fine if it was a small focal part of the book, but this sexual tension stuff just kept coming up when there was a war going on- like come on!

I probably will get the next book when it comes out to see what happens, and I realise I've been quite scathing in this review. I did enjoy it, but I had a few issues with it. The thing is, I loved the first book. Probably more than I've loved most books. And to see my favourite character become someone so unrecognisable and unlikeable to that character you had applauded initially for their wit and swagger is infuriating.

FINAL VERDICT: It was good, I can't really tell you much that happened other than they kept moving about. The subplots were really interesting, I loved the one with Lorcan and Elide. That one could have been a whole book on its own. But I had some problems with the main plot.

RATING: 6.5/10