Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

READ: 19.05.17 - 23.05.17

BOOK: Jane Eyre

AUTHOR: Charlotte Brontë

GENRE: Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Jane comes from nothing but she desires everything life can offer her. And when she finds work as a governess in a mysterious mansion, it seems she has finally met her match with the darkly fascinating Mr Rochester. But Thornfield Hall contains a shameful secret - one that could keep Jane and Rochester apart forever. Can she choose between what is right, and her one chance of happiness?

REVIEW: I felt like the time had come in my reading of classics where I had to read 'Jane Eyre'. It's one of those massively-hyped books, that is known to be utterly tragic yet spellbinding. And I really liked it. I did.

With a lot of classics I find myself bored by the storyline or the pages drag out too much, but in this novel there was not a dull section. Even in moments when things weren't happening, the narration was extremely strong and interesting, meaning I read this book fairly easily.

It is a tragically beautiful story of a love that you can almost physically feel raw affection through the pages. It isn't a perfect love. They aren't perfect characters. There are plot points that are fascinating and I wish had been explored in more depth, you'll know what I mean if you've read the book.

Tip: if you want to read this book, do not watch the film first like I did. I ruined the whole story for myself, meaning none of the plot twists surprised me which kind of tainted my reading experience.

FINAL VERDICT: I will be reading this again in the future. It is a wonderful book, one that did raise some questions to me while I was reading. Overall, I think it's worth the hype.

RATING: 9/10