Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

READ: 07.11.17 - 10.11.17

BOOK: Everything I Never Told You

AUTHOR: Celeste Ng

GENRE: Fiction

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Lydia is dead. But they don't know this yet.

So begins this exquisite novel about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favorite child of Marilyn and James Lee, and her parents are determined that she will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue. But when Lydia's body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together is destroyed, tumbling them into chaos.

REVIEW: When I first picked up this book, I thought it would be some type of murder mystery but I was pleasantly proved wrong. Instead I came away having read a beautiful book about family and grief, which I really enjoyed.

The writing was really beautiful to read, and the story itself unfolded into a really fascinating look at what family life is like and what lies beneath the surface. The ending wasn't quite what I expected, but it seemed to fit almost into the story just because everything in the book was very unexpected.

FINAL VERDICT: I really liked this, and thought it was a really sad but also gorgeous read.

RATING: 7.5/10