Persuasion by Jane Austen

READ: 02.02.17 - 04.02.17

BOOK: Persuasion

AUTHOR: Jane Austen

GENRE: Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: 'Persuasion' is focused around the Elliot family and their acquaintances. Anne Elliot is twenty-seven years old, and is generally ignored and overlooked by her father, Sir Walter Elliot, and her sister Elizabeth. When the family fall into a financial crisis, they have to rent out their house to Admiral Croft and his wife. With these new tenants, some of Anne's past is dug up, and she is forced to face a man she had loved but also rejected- Captain Wentworth.

REVIEW: This is the first of the 'classics' I'm planning on reading this year, and I have to say- I am astounded by how much I have enjoyed it. Last summer I had to read 'Pride and Prejudice' (also by Jane Austen) and despised it, so to find myself adoring 'Persuasion' was completely unexpected!

Anne is such a wonderful character, and you really feel her pain and agony throughout due to the situation around her. I became captivated by the plot, and the prose is absolutely beautiful; a phrase that really stuck out for me was 'the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves'. You grow to care about the characters so much, and so quickly as well.

It is not all romance however, and I found a great deal of humour in the novel, especially in the character of Mary. There were scandals, and tense moments, and in general a lot of important themes are raised in this book like to what extent is status important in relationships.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for an Austen to read, I highly recommend this one. As someone who usually doesn't like this type of book, I loved it so much.

RATING: 8/10