Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

READ: 29.08.17 - 31.08.17

BOOK: Heart of Darkness

AUTHOR: Joseph Conrad

GENRE: Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: 'Heart of Darkness' tells the story of sailor Marlow and his entanglement in the horrors of colonialism in Africa. He travels up the Congo on a steamer in search of the great ivory trader, Kurtz, who rules his land with terror, and has made himself into a god.

REVIEW: Again, this is a book which I am unsure of. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, but there was something that I didn't connect to within this novel. I could appreciate the symbolism and the meaning behind the novel, but I found it very tricky to get into and understand.

It is the type of book that I think would be best read in one go, and it does require a lot of attention. I think now is the wrong time for me to have read this book, so maybe in a few years I will revisit this book and see if my opinion changes.

I feel as though my confusion in the first fifty pages definitely tainted my experience of the book, and I would really recommend taking some time to process what is happening and what is going on. I rushed this book too much, and evidently I am left feeling cold and confused.

FINAL VERDICT: I think it is a very clever, very interesting book with extremely vivid scenes and characters but there was something that just didn't strike me as amazing. As I said, I will probably reread this book when I'm older and hopefully understand it more.

RATING: 7/10