The Color Purple by Alice Walker

READ: 24.10.17 - 25.10.17

BOOK: The Color Purple

AUTHOR: Alice Walker

GENRE: Epistolary Novel

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Set in the harsh, segregated world of the Deep South between the wars, Celie has been raped by the man she calls father. Her two children are taken from her, and she is forced into an ugly marriage. She has no one to talk to but God.

REVIEW: I loved this book. Like really loved it. It was raw, honest, and absolutely hard-to-read at times but I adored every page because it is a beautiful story of one woman's self-discovery that she is important and that she matters.

The characters are beautifully written and I could almost hear them talking to me directly; I could see every scene right in front of me, and grew so invested in each and every character. There are so many little side plots that I loved like Mary Agnes pursuing her dream to sing. I cannot tell you how much my heart broke for Celie and the horrors she went through, but my heart also sang when I saw her finally finding herself.

The format of this book made it so quick to read, and the idea that Celie is writing letters to God was fascinating. It's clear that these letters are the only time Celie gets to express these emotions, and that's what made this book so intensely powerful. It contains lots of distressing scenes, and the first few pages of the book were really hard to stomach, but that's what makes this book so important. It's the truth, it doesn't sugarcoat anything.

FINAL VERDICT: A beautiful book, which made my cry and smile simultaneously. I loved it.

RATING: 10/10