The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

READ: 06.08.17 - 08.08.17

BOOK: The Lovely Bones

AUTHOR: Alice Sebold

GENRE: Fiction

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. My murderer was a man from our neighbourhood. My mother liked his border flowers, and my father talked to him once about fertiliser. This is Susie Salmon- speaking from heaven.

REVIEW: I really, really liked this book. I thought the idea was super clever, and I have never read a book written from this type of perspective. I found it was a heartbreaking but also very charming story, and I grew to be very fond of the characters within the story.

It made me realise how much I do cherish my family, and made me question a lot of things about death and the afterlife. I hope that in the afterlife I can look over my family and friends to see what legacy I've left behind. The concept of the book really engrossed me, and I loved reading it.

The writing wasn't some of the best writing I've ever read, but I was reading more for the plot than the language. I had a few problems, but in general I loved it.

FINAL VERDICT: I thought this was a really great read and it all felt very real. I really enjoyed reading it.

RATING: 8.5/10