The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

READ: 17.04.17 - 18.04.17

BOOK: The Great Gatsby

AUTHOR: F. Scott Fitzgerald

GENRE: Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The parties at Gatsby's Long Island mansion were legendarily glamorous affairs. Gatsby would often appear aloof to his guests for there was only one person Jay Gatsby sought to impress- Daisy Buchanan. As Gatsby pursues shady deals and his doomed obsession with Daisy, F. Scott Fitzgerald distils the essence of the Jazz Age, and probes to the empty heart of the American Dream.

REVIEW: I loved reading this book. It's a book I've always had on my 'to-be-read' list, but I went into this book without knowing anything really about it. I found myself swept up in this mad, beautiful world that was described and I found some of the characters, such as the narrator, extremely loveable. It's a short read, but absolutely stunning all the way through.

I had been told before reading this book to look for the 'symbolism' in the book and after getting halfway through and not noticing anything I decided to google it and I'm so glad I did because once you notice it you see the real beauty in the novel. That's something I would recommend doing maybe halfway through the book (googling the symbolism) because I found that I really appreciated the book afterwards.

FINAL VERDICT: I did go into this book with very high hopes, and I wasn't let down. It was a magnificent story.

RATING: 8/10