The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

READ: 20.01.17 - 24.01.17

BOOK: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

AUTHOR: Stieg Larsson

GENRE: Crime Fiction/ Thriller

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: This story follows three main characters. There's Henrik, an old man plagued by the death of his beloved niece, Harriet, who he believes was murdered. Then there's Blomkvist, a journalist who finds himself in the midst of a legal battle which he loses, and subsequently he loses all credibility. And finally, there's Salander. She's an unconventional security specialist, whose methods could be seen as stepping over a line. Throughout the novel, these three characters find themselves pushed together, and a horrifying truth is revealed.

REVIEW: I know I'm late to the game when it comes to this book, but I guess it's better late than never! I am in love with this book, it is every crime lover's dream book. While the plot was slightly slow to begin with, mainly due to a few complex backstories to explain, the book really picks up pace halfway through and you will be left biting your knuckles in suspense (as I did multiple times).

Honestly, some of the characters are slightly weak and there are some unnecessary side plots. The real showstopper was the character of Salander who fascinated me, and Larsson writes about her in a way that will leave you wanting so much more. However, the plot made up for any weaknesses in the characters as, although complex, truly took my breath away.

Throughout, you make up your own theories only to be completely shocked at the end. I read the book in a matter of days, totally engrossed in it.

There are parts that are difficult to read, I will admit that. As someone who loves anything gory and taboo, even I had trouble stomaching some of the things I was reading. This is all due to the emotional connection you make with the characters, and I found myself caring about them all a lot.

FINAL VERDICT: As the first book that I'd read of 2017, it was pretty darn good. I would recommend to anyone who loves crime novels, or anyone who loves a good thriller.

RATING: 9/10