Mary by Vladimir Nabokov

READ: 23.10.17

BOOK: Mary

AUTHOR: Vladimir Nabokov

GENRE: Novel

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: In a Berlin rooming house filled with an assortment of seriocomic Russian émigrés, Lev Ganin, a vigorous young officer poised between his past and his future, relives his first love affair.  His memories of Mary are suffused with the freshness of youth and the idyllic ambience of pre-revolutionary Russia.  In stark contrast is the decidedly unappealing boarder living in the room next to Ganin's, who, he discovers, is Mary's husband, temporarily separated from her by the Revolution but expecting her imminent arrival from Russia.

REVIEW: I didn't realise this was Nabokov's first novel until a few pages into the book, but knowing that made this read so much more interesting to me. Nabokov is one of my favourite authors ever, so to read where he started out from was such an enlightening experience and it was fascinating to see the contrasts between his early and older work.

This story was utterly charming, and I could picture all of the vibrant characters and settings so vividly in my head. The constant contrast between the dusty rooms in Berlin and the beautiful setting of Ganin's childhood was such a beautiful aspect of the book, and I just really enjoyed reading about his life. Here is this man who lives through his dreams to block out the grey and dull world that he inhabits.

FINAL VERDICT: Not a masterpiece in any sense, no Lolita either, but still a really interesting and beautiful book.

RATING: 9/10