A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

READ: 01.05.17 - 05.05.17

BOOK: A Tale Of Two Cities

AUTHOR: Charles Dickens

GENRE: Classic

BRIEF DESCRIPTION: The stirring tale is set in two cities, London and Paris, at the time of the French Revolution. At the centre of the novel are the figures of Sydney Carton and Charles Darnay, both men in love with Dr Manette's daughter Lucie, linked together by fate and by the engulfing terrors of the revolution.

REVIEW: I have very mixed feelings about this novel, and I haven't come to a decision whether I like this book or not. I really enjoyed reading the text, and I found the writing style easy enough to read (which can't be said for all classics). There were a lot of very witty, clever phrases in the text as well which made me smile or chuckle, and I thoroughly enjoyed those parts.

But some of this novel confused me so much. It wasn't just that I was confused by why the characters were doing what they were doing, I had no idea what was happening. Especially in the middle of the book, I would read whole chapters and not understand a single event that happened in the chapter.

However, I really liked the last hundred pages or so of the book- they were extremely tense and left me feeling very nervous for the characters involved. 

FINAL VERDICT: This was a pleasant read, probably something I will have to read again so I can understand what was going on half the time. For my first ever Dickens, I think this went well!

RATING: 7/10