Bridge Chapter 2.

Start from the beginning

Us poking our tongues at the camera, us going squint eyed for another capture.

Always the warm caring parents they  had behaved with me more like a friend than strict parents.

Slowly I moved forward, fingering the things on the table, breathing in the crispy citrus smell that was always in the room.

One of the older staff member must have put the same air purifier in the room that my father loved.

Working with people who have known your parents closely is going to be nice.  A smile tugged at my lips as I saw a vase full of lavenders in the corner- like always.

A room smelling like lemon mixed with the fragrance of lavender.

My mother's laughter filled voice filled my mind as she would always say this- her choice mixed with what my father loved. Strange- unlikely combination but so unique to them.

My eyes fell on the cabinet close to my father's table.

'Surprise box'

The label put up by my father, written by my mother was still intact.

My smile faltered as the memories of me running into the room and going straight for that came into my mind.

My heart plunged in my chest as I stepped towards it. Knowing there could be no surprise in there ever again for me made my heart bleed.

Scared to find it empty for the first time I decided not to open it. My fingers seemed to have mind of their own at this instance and reached out and tugged at the latch pulling it open.

A glint of silver caught my hand. As the door to the cabinet fell open I saw it was a silver wrapping paper with pink hearts

Heart in my mouth I gingerly lifted a corner of the wrapping paper and my legs gave way at the sight and I barely realised as I crashed on the ground on my knees.

***Flash back ***

Please Papa I want a Barbie doll- the Indian one wearing a saree.

Mummy: Suvarna you hardly played with dolls even as a five year old now you are getting too old for dolls.

Me: (pouting) But I want one. I want to dress it in different dresses and hairstyles everyday.

Papa: (laughing) So my princess wants to play with dolls? I thought you wanted the latest video game that your mother showed you last week at the toy shop.

Me: (grinning) That too!

Mummy: Absolutely not! Besides you will not play with the doll. Your craze will phase out within a couple of days!

Me: Please Please please. It will not phase out. I really want to dress the Barbie doll- and play with the video game.

Mummy: Nothing doing. You chose which one. You are not getting both!

Me: What If I promise to drink my milk at night and not make Papa drink it?

Mummy: What?? (turning to glare at Papa who had a dismayed look on his face and gave me a scowl making me realise my error.)

Me: Only sometimes.

Papa: (Huffing)You will get a book of Algebra formulas for your birthday this year my dear girl.

***End of Flashback ***

Tears poured from my eyes as I caressed the box of Barbie doll waiting to be packed as it rested beside the box of video game.