Chapter Thirty-Nine

Later in the night...

Sean laid on the pull out bed in the living room. Y/n had offered her bed to him but he insisted that he would sleep on the pull out. He wanted Y/n to have her sleep. Plus, he felt like it was unfair that he would have to sleep in her bed as she slept on the couch. Well, technically she would still be in a bed but, anyways.

Sean was straight in his back. He stared straight at the ceiling as his hands gripped the sheets at his shoulders. Sean sighed. He's been up for a while now and he couldn't seem to sleep. Maybe it was the time zones messing him up? He didn't know.

Sean sighed once more shuffling. He let go of the sheets and rearranged the pillows. He stuck his hand under the pillow while the other was brought up close to his face. He stared down at his fingers, wiggling them.

Suddenly, the bed shifted. Sean thought it was Y/n coming to sleep with him. He smiled to himself. As Sean was about to turn around, a voice stopped him.

"Don't bother turning around."

'That isn't Y/n's voice.' Sean thought.

"Who are-"

"It's Charlie."

Sean's mouth formed an "o". He turned around, sitting up at the same time.

"Why are you here?" Sean asked leaning back and pulling up his knees.

Charlie shrugged. "I don't know." She paused. "And don't tell me to leave. I will."

"I wasn't planning to." Sean said playing with the sheets.

"I thought you were." Charlie said quietly.

"No." Sean plainly said.

There was an awkward pause. The tension in the room was tight. It felt like they were both rubbing on rubber. Sand paper was rubbing their skin, making them shuffle and feel uncomfortable.

"Look," Charlie sighed out, "I wanted to talk to you."

"About...?" Sean trailed off.

"About you and Y/n." Charlie finally faced Sean.

Sean could faintly make out her face. It was dimly lit but he could make out the shape of her face. Her eyes reflected off the small light of the moon.

"What's up?" Sean asked.

Charlie look Sean dead in the eyes.

"I understand you and Y/n are happy now. Right?"

"Yes..." Sean's voice trailed off once again.

Charlie shuffled so all of her body was facing Sean.

"I know it's none of my business to be controlling what you and Y/n are doing. But, what I saw today, I could see that Y/n was genuinely super happy to see you. There is no doubt about that. But there are a few things I want you to know." Charlie said.

"Like what?" Sean asked shuffling to sir up straight.

Charlie sighed and looked down. "Y/n told me when you weren't talking, she had depression." Charlie's eyes shot back up at Sean's. "I understand that. You leaving her, her having to deal with just getting out of the hospital, then a few months later her mother passing away-"

"Her mother passed away?" Sean asked quietly.

"Yes." Charlie said.

"Awe man. That must've sucked." Sean rubbed the back of his neck.

"Anyways, with her mom passing away, her dealing with therapy, having to take pills for other things to keep her well, it was a lot." Charlie continued. Her eyes looked away then shot back to Sean. "I know all of this because she told me. It doesn't seem like I would've been able to receive all this information in such a small amount of time being apart but just listen. Y/n's mood changed ever since she started talking to you again."

Sean looked up at Charlie. He had confusion all across his face as his arm was around his neck.

"It didn't seem like it when I came to see her. I got slapped. And you saw it! She hated me!" Sean exclaimed.

"I know that. But listen. She's in love with you, Sean. She may not seem to show it but I can see it. The way the she looks at you. The way she replied to your messages or letters even though she hated you. The way her eyes sparkle when she looks at you. Good or bad times. Hell, she even showed it tonight! When you two danced, I saw you. There was so much love filled in the living room." Charlie's eyes softened. "You guys are in love! It may be hard to see yourselves, but others see it. Like I said, you may not see it or she may not see it, but you two are full of it. Go make promises that can't be kept because it keeps you two together. "

Without a word, Charlie got up, and left.