Chapter Twenty

Restarting...

Y/n tore open the letter. Though, when it was being  torn away, many pieces of paper fell out of the letter. Y/n picked up each piece of paper and set it on the counter.

Sitting on the stool, she rolled up her long sleeve and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. She picked up one of the pieces of paper and unfolded it.

March 10th, 2000

Hey Sean! I know it's sad that we had just gotten separated since my parents divorced. I'm sorry you have to loose your best friend, again, but I will always be there with you, with these letters! It may not be much but at least we can still keep in touch until we see each other again! What do you say?
....

Y/n set down the letter. She then frantically looked through the other ones. All of them were letters that she had sent to him when they were younger.

She put her elbows on the counter and ran her fingers through her hair, letting them stay there as she looked down at the letters scattered on the countertop.

As she looked down, something stood in the corner of her eye. She turned her head toward it and looked at it.

It was another letter...

On top it read "September 16th, 2016". Y/n took her hands out of her hair and grabbed it. Her fingers unfolded the thick paper not knowing what to expect. Her finger ran across the edge of the paper as her eyes gazed onto the paper.

January 12th, 2016,
A man walked onto the sidewalk of a cold January night. The crisp air of Jack frost nipped his nose as his cheeks turned pink. His hands were dug far into his coat pocket. The snow on the bottom of his feet crunched along as he walked away. His face was stone cold. The turn up of his lips showed that he was angry. He wanted to shout. His eyes showed anger yet he was saddened. No matter what he did, he just wanted to go home as soon as possible.
The man finally got home. The air did not change, though it seemed it was colder. The sky was dark but nothing was visible but the clouds that lurked above. This man didn't talk. Hie didn't want any part of society near him at this point. Though, they night came to an end and he knew he had to get back to work.
During work, the man would act like someone different. He didn't seem to smile like he used to, he didn't really act the same way, he just put on a mask. But when work was done, he took off his mask. It went on day by day. Nothing changed. This went on for months and months.
One day, the man sat down at his table in the kitchen. A pen sat between his index finger and his thumb. His hair was messed up, which needed clipped. His facial hair needed to be shaved. His face had no expression onto it. A piece of paper sat in front of this man. He stared at it for a long time. Finally, the tip of the pen touched the paper, and this is what he wrote.
It's September now. September 16th to be exact. I don't think you care. Honestly, you probably don't care about this. I don't know what to actually to say. No, I do know.
You hate me. I know it for a fact. You hate my guts, you want(ed) me dead. You changed everything just so I don't talk to you. You want me out of your life. If I were you, I would be the same way. I can't lie.
You probably won't talk to me after this, but I don't care. I can't lie, I do care. I have been caring. I don't know if you figured it out by now, but I was 'the man'.
I can't take this anymore! I miss you! I miss your laugh! I miss your smile! I miss our conversations at night! I miss our goofy acts! I miss seeing your eyes! I miss looking at you! I miss listening to your voice! I miss listening to you ramble! I miss your voice when your jealous! I miss your lips! I miss your embraces! I miss you! I miss everything....and it's all my fault. Me...Sean William McLoughlin.
I'm lovesick. I can't stand myself. The look on your face when I left that day....
I listened to your sobs. Y'know that? When I slammed the door, I stopped myself. I put my ear against the door and listened. I heard you cry. I heard the comfort that Adam gave you.
I almost walked back into the door, y'know.
I know you probably can't forget what happened. Like I said before, you probably hate my guts now. I understand why but I know you can't apologize yet. I don't want to force you. I also don't want you gone either....
I miss you...but you probably don't.
Well, this is it. That's all I haven to say. Have a good rest of the year.
-Sean W. McLoughlin