5 || breaking

-Tori's POV-

-

"You sure you know how to do this?" Rick asked. I nodded once again. "yes rick." he reluctantly nodded and opened to gate to where the first horse was. "Ready?" Hershel asked, holding onto the scared horse, with carl. "definitely." the horse had already been tacked up. She kept biting at the bit, trying to get used to the metal in her mouth. I took hold of the reins, missing the feeling. she let out a huff of air and without disturbing her I carefully put my foot into the stirrup. I swung my leg over her back quickly, and land softly on her back. her head flew up in surprise and she threw a buck picking up speed as she ran around the field. I pulled back on the rein so they were very short and she got the hint, slowing to a immensely bumpy ride. I shush her and massage her withers. "good girl" I coo. I take out a couple of the peppermint that had been in my pocket and hop off of her, feeding her the mint I walk her back to where Hershel was waiting with the gelding, who freaked out yesterday.

"She's going to need a lot more work but at least she knows what it's like to carry a person.

"nice work" he praised and we switched horses. "is this the strongest bit we have?" I ask. He nods and Beth held Judith who was reaching out for one of the horses. "come here" I take Judith out of her grasp, receiving a warm smile from Beth, I let Jude touch the black horses mane before she clapped her hands and reached for carl.

"I need a martingale for him." I inform either rick and or Hershel. "a what?" carl asked from beside his dad. "martingale. it goes on the horses chest" he nods in response and Rick retrieved one of the few we had found. "thank you"

-