Bond Mates Chapter 39 - Nothing to fear, but fear itself

Copyright © 2012 Kirsty Moseley

                                Chapter 39 - Nothing to fear, but fear itself

She was still unconscious she hadn’t even stirred in her sleep for almost sixteen hours. The doctors at the shifter only that we were at said that physically she was healing well, the gunshot wound and her other wounds had healed now that the drug had left her system. I knew that the emotional pain wouldn’t go away that quickly though - maybe it never would. The doctors said they would talk to me more about that when she woke up and they could asses her.

What those animals had done to her had scarred me forever and I only had to witness it on video, I hadn’t had to go through that myself. I had no idea what I was going to say to her when she finally decided to wake up. ‘Sorry’ just wasn’t going to cut it in this situation. I had no idea how I was going to make it up to her for failing to protect her like I should have done. She should never have been taken in the first place. We’d gotten complacent and relaxed our guard more; I wouldn’t be making that mistake again.

Her words from yesterday refused to leave my head as I looked at her now peaceful face. ‘I want to die. Please, please just let me die’. She’d sounded so pleading when she said it that it made me sick to my very core. I had a feeling that the tape I’d seen on replay when I’d been kept in the basement, was only the tip of the iceberg with what she’d been subjected to this week.

My parents had flown in now, I couldn’t stop them any longer, but they weren’t allowed to visit her until she was fully awake. They were both desperate to come and visit but I was the only one allowed in her room for now.

I sat forward in the chair, watching the rise and fall of her chest as she slept. My hand reached out and brushed some of her hair away from her face. She whimpered in her sleep and I froze as she cringed away from my touch. Her eyes squeezed tight as her whole body seemed to stiffen.

“Tyler?” I said softly.

She whimpered again as her eyes slowly cracked open, flitting around wildly, as if she had no idea where she was. In reality she probably did have no idea where she was, she’d been unconscious when they brought her to the hospital last night so the last place she probably remembered was the farm.

I smiled as her bewildered and frightened eyes landed on me. “Hi,” I whispered, squeezing her hand.

Her chin wobbled as she snatched her hand back, gripping the sheets and pulling them up to her chin. Her eyes filled with tears as she took in her surroundings quickly before looking at me with the saddest, broken expression I’d ever seen in my life. 

My heart ached at that look. Panic was rising in her chest; I could feel it through our bond, making my own heart hammer in my chest. “Everything’s fine now, baby,” I cooed, knowing that nothing about this situation was ‘fine’. 

She shook her head, her knotty, dirty hair falling around her face as she gripped the sheets so tightly that her knuckles went white. “No it’s not,” she croaked, her voice raspy and dry sounding. “I....” She whimpered as I moved in the chair, her whole body jerked as she looked like a frightened little rabbit. 

Wait, was she scared.... of me?

I didn’t move again as I spoke quietly. “You’re safe now, baby. You’re safe,” I assured her.

She drew in a big breath, her shoulders pulling back as she raised her chin, her eyes locked right on mine. “I.... I want you to leave. I want my mom. I don’t what you here. Get out,” she said, her voice breaking at the end.