The Strong and the Stronger

SOPA did not pass! You just can't beat down fandoms...

I do not own Naruto. I own any OC and original ideas and changes to the plot, this story is copyrighted.

Anyways... Let me give you a nice big apology, dear readers. I am very, so very sorry for every single awkward time skip and fast forewarning.that happens in this story. I suck at transitioning through periods of time. As you all know, this chapter would most probably contain the prelims, which I cannot of course all go over. My only solution was to name some that would affect the story and get past the fights because the real plot actions begin there ^ ^"

But...why would you read a fanfiction if you have not read/viewed the original? I am writing this story, trusting that you all know what happens in the original manga series ;)

So, I am sorry if your reading experience is degraded through this chapter. Enjoy to the best of your ability!

Third Person's POV

Twenty-two teams stood in the chamber in a neat array. In front of them, were all their respectable sensei's but most importantly, the Hokage himself was standing in the center.

"Congratulations on passing the second test!" Anko yelled at everyone.

On that note, all the successful candidates began looking amongst each other, observing who passed and who were absent.

Akira on the other hand kept his eyes on the ground. He didn't care who had made it. He only knew he had to get to the last test. Besides, nobody would be looking for him right now. He was too small to be noticed and his cloths were dark and blended easily with the rest of Team Kabuto.

However, the adults at the front were not as stupid as Akira underestimated them.

The Hokage smiled. For so many of them to make it...and most are rookies too. There were even two candidates who were younger than usual. His eyes skimmed over the nervous face of Kitsune and then fell on Akira. The Hokage narrowed his eyes thoughtfully. What an interesting child...He also looked noticeably sad, and his face displayed a maturity too old for a ten year old. Despite that however...there was something strange about him that the Hokage would need to check with Umino Iruka.

"The Third Hokage will now explain the third test!" Anko shouted, "Get the dirt out of your ears everyone!" Anko turned to the Hokage, "Lord Hokage, please."

"Yes...thank you, Anko." The Hokage took out his pipe and began to speak. He spoke of the true purpose of the exam, how it was not only the candidate's duty to strive for the title of Chuunin, but to also represent his or her country well, in the replacement of war. A shinobi's true strength always shows by putting his life on the line in fighting for his dreams and beliefs.

The Hokage was greeted by silence, except for Gaara who sharply cut in.

"I don't care about that... Just get on to the putting your life on the line part."

"Ah yes," the Hokage said, "about that-"

"Hokage-sama, if you would please."

Someone suddenly appeared in a puff of smoke. It was a sickly man on one knee, bowing to the Hokage, "Please allow I, Gekkou Hayate, the referee to explain."

"...as you wish."

The man coughed, "Hello everyone... I am Hayate, the proctor for the third test. Before we begin however... There's something else. We shall first go through a preliminary test."

There was an uproar. Even Akira looked up from the ground.

"PRELIMINARY!? WHY?"

"IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG?"