50

| chapter fifty

"Skylar!" Jacob calls from across the hallway. I groan and look over at the alarm clock on my nightstand.

11:56 pm.

What could he possible want right now?

I lazily pull the blankets off of me and swing my legs to the side of the bed. I rub both my eyes and walk over to the bedroom door, walking into the hallway.

There is yelling and I furrow my eyebrows. I walk over to Jacob's door and open it, walking inside.

"Do you hear that?" I ask, yawning and rubbing my eyes again. He nods his head and holds his arms out. I climb onto the bed with him and lay my head against his chest.

"Maybe you should just leave then!" A muffled yell is heard from the other side of the wall.

"Jacob?" I look up at him. "They've never fought like this before." My voice cracks and it becomes harder to swallow.

"I know, baby. That's what I called you in here." He rubs small circles on my back.

I now realize how distant my mom and Austin have been. Ever since we were done meeting with the wedding planner they haven't talked since.

Maybe something happened and I just didn't notice.

"What's going to happen?" I ask as I feel tears brim my eyes. I hear Jacob sigh as he pulls me closer to him.

"Whatever does happen, Skylar. I want to be with you and if they aren't together anymore, that doesn't mean we can't be." He looks down at me. I nod, wiping the tears away.

There is a door slammed, making me flinch.

"Skylar!" I hear my mom yell. I quickly sit up and sit on the end of Jacob's bed.

"In here!" I shout back. The door knob turns and is pushed open.

My mom stands there with her purse over her shoulder and her chest quickly moving up and down.

"We're staying at a hotel tonight." She says with her voice shaking. My eyes go wide and I shake my head.

"Mom, no." I begin to cry again, looking over at her.

"I can't stay here, Skylar." The tears start to fall down her face. She looks past me and back at Jacob.

"I'm sorry honey, but we need to go." She tells Jacob. He gets up from the bed and grabs his jacket.

"I'm going with you." He puts his jacket on and puts on his shoes. My mom sighs before nodding her head.

"What happened?" I wipe my tears. My mom walks further into the room and sits next to me on the bed. We hear Austin yelling and banging on the walls in their bedroom.

She gets up from the bed and walks back into the hallway.

"Stop! You're scaring the kids!" I hear her yell.

I look over at Jacob who was sitting at the desk chair with his head in his hands.

My mom comes back into the room and shuts the door behind her.

"He cheated on me-" She begins to cry more. "I found the messages, it's been going on for months."

My eyes go wide and I part my lips in shock.

Jacob looks up with his jaw clenched.

"Are you serious?" He stands up and balls up his fists by his sides.

"Jacob, no." I stand up and put my arms around him. He sighs and tugs on his hair.

"We need to go." My mom stands up from the bed. She walks towards Jacob and I.

"Are you sure you want to go, sweetheart?" She asks Jacob for clarification. He nods his head.

We all grab everything we need for overnight and walk downstairs. I open the front door for everyone and shiver from the cold.

My mom leads the way down the front steps and unlocks the doors to her car. Jacob and I both get in the back and my mom hurriedly backs out of the driveway.

I look over at Jacob who was looking out the window. I can't imagine how he's feeling since his dad is the one who did this.

"I love you both," My mom says from the front seat. She's really had a bond with Jacob which made me happy.

"I love you too, Ms. Roberts." Jacob looks at her through the mirror and smiles. My mom turns on the radio as we continue to look for a cheap hotel.

After driving around for a long twenty minutes, we finally find a hotel that would work. I unbuckle my seat belt and grab my backpack that had my clothes inside.

We all get out of the car and walk to the front office. I slide my backpack over my shoulders and sigh as we step inside.

An older lady was at the front desk reading a newspaper. She looks up and smiles once she sees all three of us.

"Hello," She stands up from her chair.

"I need a room with double beds." My mom places her card on the counter.

"For how long?" The lady asks, typing in our request.

"Just tonight." My mom looks back at me and I give her a sympathetic smile.

The lady nods and hands us our key. We all walk around the large hotel until we find our room.

My mom slides the key in the door, causing the light to turn green. She opens the door and the room is pretty nice.

"I'm going to shower," My mom sighs, setting her bag down on one of the beds. I nod my head and watch as she takes pajamas out of her purse and walks into the bathroom.

"We need to tell her," Jacob says, causing my heart to drop.

-

Well damn.
        - B