42

| chapter forty-two

"How are we supposed to get to school?" I furrow my eyebrows, glancing at my mom who was reading the paper.

"There's a bus stop just down the block." She smiles, keeping her eyes on the newspaper beneath her.

I look over at Jacob and he shrugs. I absolutely hate taking the bus. There are a bunch of obnoxious kids who are so loud and don't know what personal space is.

"Fine, then." I huff, pulling my backpack over my shoulders.

"Let's go, Jacob." I walk towards the front door, him following behind me.

"I hate her." I mumble, kicking a rock on the sidewalk ahead of us.

"Don't say that, babe. She's your mom." He grabs my hand, making sure we were a good distance away from the house.

"I don't care." I say plainly, looking up at him.

He shakes his head. "You are so stubborn, Skylar Roberts."

"I know." I admit, laughing softly. We approach the bus stop and sit at the bench.

"Today better go by fast." Jacob says, leaning back and crossing one leg over the other.

"I agree." I laugh, slightly shivering from the cold wind.

A boy walks down the sidewalk, approaching us. I quickly pull my hand away from Jacob's putting my hands in my hoodie pocket.

"Yo Chris, my man." Jacob says standing up. I awkwardly sit there watching as they shake hands.

Chris looks over at me, then back at Jacob.

"Who's she?" He asks, scanning my body. I instantly begin to feel intimidated.

"That's just my gir- sister." He says, I scold him. I hated when he called me his sister, because it's not true. Legally, nothing is finalized. He's my boyfriend, not my brother. Simple as that.

I stand up smiling at Chris. "I'm Skylar, nice to meet you." I lean back and forth.

"Nice to meet you too." He says, not making eye contact with me.

"I didn't know you had a sister, Jake." Chris laughs. Jake? Well, that's new.

"Yup." Jacob says, nervously laughing. I look over and see the bus coming down the road. I walk past the boys and stand on the curb.

The bus comes to a stop, making a loud screech. The doors open, revealing the bus driver. He smiles at me and waves.

I smile, and walk up the steps, turning to face the whole bus. There were kids everywhere, all types of ages.

I walk down the slim aisle, with Jacob behind me. I spot an empty seat, and quickly sit down, setting my backpack on the floorboard.