21

| chapter twenty-one

It's been a week since my talk with Jacob. In this week I've been really sad, and sleeping so much. I'm usually one to get up early and like to get things done. But this week was different.

Jacob apologized every time we saw each other around the house, which I appreciated, but it just didn't help. Hunter on the other hand, he's really been there for me. He brought me soup when I wasn't feeling well, and he made sure to get the work I was missing from school.

I heard the front door open. I put on my slippers and made my way downstairs.

My mom and Austin were standing at the front door with dinner in their hands. Chinese takeout. Yummy.

"Hey, kiddo." Austin says and flashes me a grin. I smile back in response and follow both of them into the kitchen.

"Can you set this on the table, sweetheart?" My mom says holding out a bag. I nod my head and grab the bag of food. I take each individual to go box and set each of them on the table.

I hear running down the stairs and I begin to feel nervous.

"Hey dad." Jacob says hugging Austin. "Miss. Roberts." He hugs my mom as well. He turns around and looks at me. I give a small smile and take my seat at the table.

Jacob sits next to me, and the adults sit across from us.

"So, how's school?" Austin asks, grabbing a bite of noodles from his styrofoam bowl.

"Good." Jacob and I say in unison. Austin nods his head.

"And how about baseball, Jacob?" My mom asks him. He finishes the last of his bite before answering.

"Amazing, thank you. We actually have a game next week." He smiles. I take a bite of my food and cross my legs. The rest of dinner was quiet, like it usually is.

I get up from the table and throw away my to-go box. I begin to walk upstairs and Jacob follows me into my room. He closes the door behind us.

"What do you want, Jacob?" I say sitting on my bed. He leans against the door and looks at me.

"I broke up with Brianna." He says, not breaking eye contact. He what? Was I hearing him correctly?

"You what?" I ask, obviously hearing him the first time.

"I broke up with her. You heard me." He repeats himself. I hide my smile by biting my lip.

"Well. I don't know what to say." I tell him truthfully. I've been wanting him to end things with her, but now that he actually has I'm kind of shocked.

"I have a question." He says and walks over to my desk, sitting down.

"What's up?" I ask.

"I was uh," He scratches the back of his neck. "I was wondering if you would want to go on a date with me."

I blush at his question, and play with the fabric of my shirt.

"But your dad and my mom. If they found out.." He looks sad, before suddenly smiling.

"We could just say we're going to the mall or something." He says. "Like bonding time." He adds on.

I look down. A date? I'll admit, this makes me really happy. But.. What about Hunter? I could tell he likes me, and I think I like him. If I went on this date, that could ruin what I have with him. Then there's Jacob. He was my first crush in this new town, he's made me smile so much. He's also my soon to be step brother. Ugh.

Oh what the hell.

"I'd love to." I say, causing Jacob to smile.

"I'll text you later, okay? We'll go tomorrow." He gets up and walks towards me.

"Okay." I smile and look up at him. He kisses my forehead before leaving my room.

-

12:00 am

My phone buzzes and I turn over pressing the home button.

from: jacob
>> I can't wait for tomorrow. Like I can't sleep

I laugh softy at his message before replying.

to: jacob
>> me either! where are we going?

from: jacob
>> it's a surpriseeee

to: jacob
>> I hate surprises :(

from: jacob
>> OH WELL

I shake my head and smile to myself. For some reason I was very excited.

to: jacob
>> night jacob <3

from: jacob
>> night sky :)

-

SCHOOL IS STUPID. Just putting that out there. Anywaysss hope you guys liked this chapter. Comment your opinions and vote. 💕
- B