Chapter 40

Bailey’s POV:

I wake up to my alarm clock on my phone. I shut it off and get out of bed.

I shower, do my hair, and then get dressed in dark jeans and a navy blue and white striped shirt.

I hear the twins down stairs screaming a little, they must be playing.

I grab my school bag and phone and head down stairs.

Cameron and Toby aren’t in the kitchen or living room; they must be still getting ready.

I walk into the kitchen and see Jeff sitting at the kitchen table on his laptop, and Jessica laying out several different cereal boxes from the pantry.

“Good morning.” I say to them as I sit down at the island.

“Morning.” Jeff and Jessica say.

“Bailey,” Jessica says and I look up at her, her eyes are glossy, “you won’t be going to school today.”

“What do you mean?”

“We got a call this morning from the lady that approves who and where you live with from the foster care you were in, and she told us,” she took a deep breath before she began, “that your old foster mother wants you back with her. In Arizona.”

No. This can’t be. I don’t want to go back there with her, in that “home”. I can’t go back there.

“No, I don’t want to go back there! She just can’t take me back!” I raised my voice.

“We just have to go for a couple court hearings, you will be called to the stand and asked questions, we will also have Cameron to because he’s the one who met you on that bus and saw your bruises and things on your body.”

I take in a deep breath, trying to hold back from crying. I put my face in my hands and focus on breathing.

I feel a warm and soft hands rub my shoulder, and then pull me into a hug.

“Don’t worry sweetie, we will do everything we can to keep you with us.” Jessica says, and I let the tears out. “Jeff has already called our lawyer; he will be there with us. And we’re going to fly out at ten; the first court meeting will be tomorrow.”

“Why is she leaving!?” I look up to see Cameron standing in the entry way of the kitchen.

Jessica pulls away, but keeps her hand on my shoulder. I go back to putting my face in my hands, not wanting to hear what Jessica has to say again and not wanting to see the look on Cameron’s face when she tells him.

I get up from my seat walking back to my room, keeping my head down.

I grab a duffle bag and start folding my clothes and stuffing it inside. I walk into my bathroom and grab, my tooth brush and paste, hair brush, hair ties, make up and my curling iron.

I figure since we’re going to a court house I have to dress nice.

I hear a soft knock at my door. I open it expecting it to be Jessica, but its Cameron. His eyes are puffy and blood shot.

He steps towards me and pulls me into a hug.

He whispers in my ear, “Remember when I promised I would keep you safe?” I nod. “I intend to keep that promise. And I will not let you leave, you mean too much to me.”

Oh gosh, here comes the tears.

He pulls away, and I put my head down.

Cameron puts his index finger under my chin and lifts it bringing me to eye level with him.

“Please don’t cry.” He wipes the tears off my cheeks with his thumbs.

I pull him back into a hug, and he wraps his arms around my waist.

“As much as I’d like to stay like this, I have to start packing.” He pulls away and kisses my cheek and leaves to his room.

We pull up to the airport and grab out bags from the trunk.

We get our tickets out, and wait in silence for our plane number to be called.

Cameron on my right and Jessica on my left, with Jeff beside her.

“It’ll be okay sweetie, we won’t leave you.” Jessica whispers to me, and kisses my cheek.

I look at her and give her a small smile.

“Flight 27 A to Arizona, will be boarding right now.” A voice sounds around the airport.

I let out a huff and get up and grab my bag.

Jeff, Cameron, and Jessica do the same. We start walking to the door that leads to the air plane. We hand the lady our tickets and walk through the hall into the plain.

There are two seats on each side and three seats in the middle. I go to row F, where there are two seats.

“I’ll let you and Cameron sit together, Jeff and I will sit in front of you two.” Jessica said giving me a small smile.

I get the window seat and Cameron sits beside me.

I am so tired right now; all I want to do is sleep so I don’t have to think about tomorrow.

I see Cameron pull out his phone and head phones. He hands me one and I take it and put it in my right ear.

He begins to play ‘Let her Go’ by Passenger.

My eyes start getting heavy and my head starts falling onto my shoulder.

Cameron’s hand comes into view. He moves my head lightly onto his shoulder and I fall asleep instantly.

Oh how I wish I could stay in this moment with him, I thought before falling asleep.