Chapter 36. Birthday Part 1

Start from the beginning

My phone buzzed and I glanced at it as it was placed on the dashboard , I could not see the caller ID.

"Suvi answer that for me. Whoever it is tell them I will get back." I said not taking my eyes off the road.

She picked up the phone and frowned "Brutus? You have a friend by that name?"

Shit!

I shot her a worried look as she frowned at the screen "Suvi don't answ-" I started to blurt but too late!

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Hello?" she said and her eyes widened as she must have recognised the caller.

Oh crap! How could I forget about this?

"Nanu?" she said smiling. "It is not yet 7th!" she said laughing. "Oh yes! The time zone."

She happily spoke into the phone as her family wished her. I quietly pulled the car to a stop knowing they would want to wish me as well.

"Yes he is here." I heard Suvi say with a smile as she handed the phone to me. I smiled and took the call and handed the phone back to her after, knowing she would want to say goodbye.

So far so good. She seems to have forgotten.

She disconnected after a few minutes grinning from ear to ear. "Oh my God! It's already our birthday in India!" she screamed happily.

"Yes." I smiled as I started the car. When I saw her frown I knew trouble was coming up.

"Why did the ID read 'Brutus.'?" She asked sounding confused.

"Um- Suvi this was years ago. When I was angry with you- er- this is your landline number- then it was your number." I fumbled groping for correct words.

"So basically you put my number in your phone as 'Brutus.'?" She asked looking stunned.

"Um- Suvi- you know I was silly-"

"Correct. Very silly." She said thoughtfully.

I glanced at her worried. That is her reaction? So calm?

"You really thought I had betrayed you, didn't you?" she said quietly.

"At that time Suvi. I was really a total idiot and- you know I forgot about this totally." I said my heart thudding loudly.

She nodded and looked out of her window and said nothing.

I felt terrible knowing I had once again hurt her with my old actions.

"We are going into woods?" she said sounding surprised as I pulled closer to where we were heading.

"Yes." I smiled knowing she will like it.

"Camp?" she said jumping around to face me smiling broadly.

"Among other things." I said with a chuckle.

"What other things?"

"Surprise Suvi." I laughed. "I am not telling."

She pouted cutely making me laugh.

I felt happy she did not push that ID matter. After all I had done this years ago and she already knows how silly I was then-

"HOW COULD YOU WRITE BRUTUS AS MY NAME?' suddenly she yelled making me jump.

Oh no! I should have known Suvi being Suvi she will suddenly react unexpectedly.

"Sorry?" I said lamely and cringed when my apology came out sounding like a question.