Playing With the Mind

I called my mom again. When she picked up, I asked her the question I'd been waiting to be answered since the night she FaceTimed me:

"Mom, what is this guy from Wolverhampton's name? How am I supposed to know who to look for? Where do I meet him?"

"Honey! Slow down! I'll tell you!" my mom sounded annoyed. "You're to meet him at the coffee shop on Baker Street. You know the place I'm talking about, right?" 

"Yes," I said. I'd been there many times before. 

"His name is James. He's a very nice kid. You'll definitely like him." 

"I'll take your word for it." Thank goodness you can't hear it when people roll their eyes. 

"Love you sweetie!" My mom said before hanging up. I sighed and got ready for school. 

***

When I saw Blair, I told her about the dinner. She kept a calm face and asked:

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

"Because I knew you'd freak out," I said plainly. 

"Are you kidding?!" Blair asked. "I would NOT freak out!" 

I looked at her with a "really?" face. 

"Yeah, you're right. I would've freaked out," Blair admitted. I laughed. 

"Knew it," I said. "But there's something else." Blair's eyes immediately lit up. 

"Did he ask you out?!" she jumped up and down.

"No!" I said. She sighed and kept listening. "My mom met a guy in Wolverhampton and wants me to meet him after school today, but I'm going somewhere with Niall at the same time!"

"Where are you going with Niall?" she cooed. "On a date?" 

"No!" I pushed her playfully. "I'm going to watch his band rehearse."

"Niall's in a band?!" Blair nearly shouted. 

"Yes! He invited me to come and watch them play, but my mom wants me to meet up with James!"

"Who's James?" Blair asked. I smacked my forehead. 

"The guy my mom wants me to meet from Wolverhampton?" 

"Ohhh!" Blair realized. I laughed again. 

"What should I do? My mom wants me to meet him at the coffee shop on Baker Street." 

"Where are you watching Niall's band?" Blair asked. 

"Niall's house. I still need to ask him where that is," I said. The bell rang for first period, in which I groaned. Couldn't it be second period already? 

Wait. What am I saying? History is my favorite class!

Or it was...

Gosh dang it Niall. What have you done to me?

I walked into History and slumped into my desk. Mr. Tarest was busy grading papers to notice that I seemed unusually annoyed. As more students came into class, I did my best to seem happy, but I sure as anything wasn't. I wanted to swear at that hunk of an Irish boy.

"Good morning, class," Mr. Tarest droned after the bell rang. All the students seemed to drone along with him, and they finally dragged me under the wagon. I just wanted to scream and see if he'd actually react. I swear, this guy could have a cruise ship honk straight at him and he wouldn't flinch. Even better, a BOMB could go off in the back of his classroom and he wouldn't flinch. Seriously, I don't even know why I enjoyed this class before.