One On One

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" Blair screamed. Several people around us turned their heads.

"Yes!" I whispered loudly, hoping those people would stop staring. "He asked me to hang out with him."

"This is the greatest news ever!" Blair squealed. "Pepper Atkinson has a lover!"

"Am not!" I blurted. "He asked to hang out. Not to go on a date."

"Were you nervous?"

"Kind of," I replied. It's not like I was, but then again... I wasn't. He was so easy to talk to.

I didn't see Niall for the rest of the day again. It was strange how I only saw him during second period.

When I got to my locker at the end of the day, there was a small piece of paper sticking out. I nervously unfolded the small crumpled piece and read.

Pepper,

Meet me in the courtyard at 3 sharp. I wanna talk to you a bit more... get to know you :)

Love,

Niall

p.s. Don't ask how I found out your locker number, I just have connections :)

I stared in bewilderment. Niall wrote this?! He couldn't possibly like me.

Could he?

The butterflies returned as I walked towards the courtyard. The hallway clock read 3:00 as I opened the door to the cold, crisp air.

Niall was sitting on the grass in the farthest corner of the courtyard. He looked shady, and I bit my lip as I walked over.

He smiled at me. "So you got my note?"

"Would I be here otherwise?" I rolled my eyes. He chuckled.

"Well anyways, I want to get to know you, Pepper. You seem pretty cool, but I know nothing about you."

I smirked. "Surprise, surprise. It's not like we've only known each other for two days or anything."

Niall genuinely laughed.

I felt confident now. I told him my entire story:

"Well, I've lived in London my entire life, but my parents practically live in Wolverhampton for work, so I live alone. I haven't seen them in person since I was about 12.

"Blair Waldorf has been my best friend since Primary school. She keeps me company while I'm alone and she's a blast."

I blabbed on like this for another ten minutes before I realized that Niall was staring at me.

*Niall's POV*

I was really happy that Pepper came and met me. Usually girls wouldn't give a single crap and leave me hanging. But she came.

Once she started talking, she didn't show any sign of stopping. I couldn't help but stare at her. Her ombre hair blew gently across her face and her gorgeous brown eyes sparkled in the sun. It was a while before she looked over and realized I was staring.

Crap. She thinks I'm a weirdo now.

"What about you, Niall? You seem to have forgotten that I don't know you either." She put her hands on her hips and looked at me.

I had to laugh. Pepper was a witty girl.

"Let's see... I was born in Mullingar, Ireland and I have an older brother named Greg. He's moved out and married now, and he has a son named Theo."

I stopped at this point and waited for her to coo or something about Theo (most girls do) but she didn't. Pepper waited for me to continue.

"I like to play the guitar and sing. Music is a big part of my life."

There was a long pause.

*Pepper's POV*

"I like to play the guitar and sing," Niall said. "Music is a big part of my life."

Great. Just one more thing to add to my Things That Make Niall Attractive List.

We didn't say anything for a long time.

"Pepper?" Niall finally said.

"Hm?"

"Will you go to dinner with me?"

Again.. A long pause.

I weighed my options.

Option 1: go to dinner with Niall. Possibly fall in love and never have my normal life back.

Option 2: say no. Disappoint Niall, and have your normal life.

Screw normal.

"Sure!" I said. Niall seemed to sigh with relief and stood up. I got up as well and we walked to the school parking lot.

"I'll pick you up at 7," Niall called.

"You don't even know where I live!" I said matter of factly.

"School directory," Niall mocked my voice. "Duh." I rolled my eyes and got into my car. As soon as he was out of earshot, I squealed.

I'm going out to dinner with someone!