What Is This Feeling?

So his name is Niall. I stared wide eyed. He looked at me with a smirk.

"Well Niall, how about you have a seat next to Pepper," Mr. Gatsby offered. Niall nodded and slipped into the desk. The teacher then turned around and began to explain the science of sublimation.

I always pay attention in my classes; take notes, ask questions, etc. But today, I had trouble focusing. Niall was a distraction. I finally turned to face him. I was shocked to see he was staring back at me.

"Fancy seeing you here, isn't it?" Niall smirked.

"I guess," I said shakily. "So...Niall? Never heard a name like that before."

"I could say the same about you," he said cooly. "Pepper's not a very common name."

I swallowed hard and turned to face Mr. Gatsby again, but couldn't concentrate.

Oh for Pete's sake. He isn't that attractive.

But he was. His blonde hair and piercing eyes were breathtaking. His accent was gorgeous: no doubt Irish. I couldn't believe I didn't recognize it at the party.

Class was over soon enough, and Niall seemed to disappear. I seemed somewhat disappointed when I walked into English with Blair, so she became curious:

"What's the matter with you? You're never this depressed?!"

"I don't really know," I lied. "Just kind of..." I never finished that sentence. I just walked over to my desk and threw my book bag to the floor.

***

Niall wasn't in my fourth period either. I didn't see him at lunch, but I told Blair about my second period experience.

"And he came in the room, and I was all like, 'holy crap it's HIM' and then he smirked," etc. Meanwhile, Blair is literally bouncing up and down with excitement.

"THIS IS PERFECT!!!" Blair squealed. I immediately gave her a "you-better-shush-your-mouth-there-are-people-looking-at-us" look.

"Don't you get it, Pep? Niall's flirting with you!!"

My breath hitched. "Are you mental?!" I whispered. "Who would flirt with me?!"

"Well Niall, obviously," Blair rolled her eyes. "Plus, you were flirting back."

I nearly dropped my fork. "Says who?!"

"Says you! You were joking around with him!" Blair objected. I screamed at myself in my head for ever telling her.