Chapter Sixteen

"Back already?" Pattie asked,from the living room. Both Justin and I gazed up simultaneously to meet Pattie's eyes. She raised a fully plucked eyebrow at us;probably sensing something. Justin held a hand to his chest.

"God,you scared me for a moment there,"

Pattie smiled warmly at us,her questioning gaze not faltering a bit,at all.

"We'll just,um-" Justin stuttered point to the staircase that led to upstairs;obviously trying to escape from his mother's weird,penetrating gaze. He took my hand in his and I blushed when his shoulder gazed against my arm;I blush about stupid things it's not even funny!

Pattie's gaze traveled to our interlaced grasp,obviously perplexed. I heard Justin curse silently under his breath,we hadn't planned on telling Pattie about our relationship yet.....

Shit.

"A little cosy,are we?" Pattie questioned,an underlying meaning protruding through her words.

"Well,it's not what it seems to be." I began just as Justin said,

"It's nothing to worry about."

We glanced at each other quickly before having our gazes meet Pattie's once again.

"Both of you. On the couch. Now. You've got some explaining to do."

Now,you can't really argue with that,can you?

_+_

"Spill.Now." Pattie instructed as I plumped down on the love seat,nerves whacking more than anything.

Justin sighed, his head falling in his hands in defeat. "This is so embarrassing." I heard him mutter,his voice sounding annoyed.

"Well,Justin an I are-Well we," I paused feeling ashamed for not being able to form a full sentence.

"We are,um.............going out." I said slowly gaging her immediate reaction. At first her face was blank then she started smiling. Talk about un-comfortable and awkward....

All this time Justin hadn't moved from his position.

"You are?! Oh my gosh! Since when?" she gushed,acting like a total school girl. If the situation wasn't so awkward,I would have been laughing my butt off by now. Meanwhile Justin was doing several face-palms,much to my amusement.Then he interrupted saying,

"Mom,just stop it. You graduated from high school seventeen years ago,don't push it okay? There isn't a single time machine in existence to even send you back to the days where you could act like this but all for now,where none of that is existent,the least you can do is act your age."

Pattie smiled in response to Justin's jibe that had me on the verge of erupting into laughter.

"I think it's cute that you and Lauren here-" she begun but in a second,I was off the chair. Justin grabbed my hand leading me clear of his mother and up into his room. Once he closed the door behind him,he sighed with relief.

"She just doesn't know when to shut up." he explained before plopping down on the bed,pulling me after him,resulting in me landing smack down beside him.

A beep emitted from across us just as a long,weary sigh escaped from my lips. I turned to see my phone flashing as the ringtone started. The intro beats sounded and I snapped it from the table,pulling it to my ear whilst pressing the answer button.

"Hello?"I said feeling stupid all of a sudden when I realized I hadn't checked the caller ID.

"Well,I got the number right then?" the voice deadpanned from the other end,accomplishment lacing every word. Fear curdled in my stomach and my heart felt like it was flipping repeatedly,non-stop.