Chapter Thirty Six

When mom finally arrived home that night,I was just about to take in another scoop of chocolate ice cream.

"Goodnight darling. Sorry,late night. Are you okay?" She called from the doorway. I envisioned her removing her heels and placing them on the battered rug near the door.

I replied with my mouth half full. It was however incoherent, geez I must sound like a tongue tied hobo. She appeared moments later, and slumped herself down on the couch, placing her feet across.

"You feeling alright? You took the medicine right?" I avoided her gaze conspicuously shielding my face from her view whilst merely shaking my head indicating to her that I had.

A few seconds ticked by and I could have felt her steady gaze.

"You don't normally pig out on ice cream.." She observed a few seconds later. I silently swore.

"I'm just feeling for it," I muffled out, my words slow and barely enunciated.

Before I could babble out some more incoherent words for a second longer, my mother continued. "Lauren, something's up..You sound hoarse."

Damn this woman.

"My fall earlier on today affected my voice box."I squeaked out doing a mental face palm.

"I didn't do Bio in high school and even I ain't buying that..Honey whatever it is, I'll be there for you." She replied a bit more forceful and serious.

Slowly I turned so my face was illuminated with the light that was streaming through the room and cracked a weak smile.

Her eyes grew wide and in a second she was squeezed on the love seat with me. "Oh my God honey, you've been crying haven't you?"

I stared down at the contents of the Styrofoam bowl and suddenly got even more upset with myself. Why was I acting so weak? Before he was even there, I learned to deal with my dad problems and shit and I never once cried. Not saying I was one of those tough cliché indie chicks who saw the need to dress like if they'd been raised in a hipster shop and felt like they had to not shed a tear, but I wasn't exactly crying material. I looked like a stuffed pink pinata when I cried, not exactly one of my desired facial expressions.

"Let me guess, boy problems?"She summoned snapping me out of my deep and thoughtful reverie.

"If you don't wanna talk, that's fine but I'm telling you talking is the best way to deal. If you don't feel one hundred percent comfortable talking to me, you can always call a friend." She consoled, patting me on the knee.

I shook my head and breathed in heavily. "Justin cheated on me,"I choked out. When reality caught up with me, it felt like everything was tumbling down. In a matter of seconds I was sobbing into my mother's shirt hysterically. An instant feeling of a headache was swarming in and somewhere deep within the pits of my mind, my conscience was begging for me to man up.

I guess everything just sort of plummeted all onto me into a relentless heap. My eyes stung, my breaths were slowly growing constricted and my vision transformed into a blurry mess as tears welled and freely escaped.

I didn't bother continuing not wanting to go into detail. I tried coming up with possible reasons why Justin would choose to screw up what we have over lust and want instead to occupy my mind. I came up with nothing as a result besides the fact that it was obvious that he had changed. Changed from a sweet loveable guy to an egotistical arrogant twat in the time span of a month and some.

"Baby, I need you to explain to me what happened." My mother drew out sounding at the edge of tears much to my sadness. Great, now I was affecting her.