Closer

{Namjin}

Hey, I was doing just fine before I met you
I drink too much and that's an issue
But I'm OK
Hey, you tell your friends it was nice to meet them
But I hope I never see them
Again

I know it breaks your heart
Moved to the city in a broke-down car
And four years, no calls
Now you're looking pretty in a hotel bar
And I, I, I, I, I can't stop
No, I, I, I, I, I can't stop

So, baby, pull me closer
In the back seat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of that mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older

You look as good as the day I met you
I forget just why I left you,
I was insane
Stay and play that Blink-182 song
That we beat to death in Tucson,
OK

I know it breaks your heart
Moved to the city in a broke-down car
And four years, no call
Now I'm looking pretty in a hotel bar
And I, I, I, I, I can't stop
No, I, I, I, I, I can't stop

So, baby, pull me closer
In the back seat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of that mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older

So, baby, pull me closer
In the back seat of your Rover
That I know you can't afford
Bite that tattoo on your shoulder
Pull the sheets right off the corner
Of that mattress that you stole
From your roommate back in Boulder
We ain't ever getting older

No, we ain't ever getting older
We ain't ever getting older
No, we ain't ever getting older
We ain't ever getting older
No, we ain't ever getting older

We ain't ever getting older
No, we ain't ever getting older

Namjoon enters the LA hotel bar, tired from his long flight, and takes a seat at the bar to order a whiskey. Thank god he's finally old enough to drink, he wouldn't have made it through the past few years without the alcohol to numb his pain. The bartender sets a glass of whiskey before him, and just as he's raised the chilled glass to his lips for a sip, he pauses at a familiar sound. The laughter echoing from behind him across the room sends his mind reeling, palms growing sweaty, heart clenching painfully at the still familiar sound. He sets the glass down, shifting to look behind him only to confirm with his own eyes what his heart already knew. It's him, his old neighbor, best friend, and not so secret love. Memories from four years ago bombard his mind, heart aching at the sight of him surrounded by new friends, laughing carelessly. He's grown even more handsome, Namjoon thinks, taking in the older's appearance with a forlorn smile and tears behind to prickle at his eyes. He's telling a story animatedly, eyes wide with excitement, the five people surrounding him laughing occasionally. His hairs no longer its natural hazel color with fringe covering his forehead, no, he's dyed it blonde and styled it to showcase the fullness of his still beautiful face. Namjoon continues to stare, unnoticed by the adjacent table, his mind traveling back to his sixteen year old self.

They had been best friends, spent nearly every day together and never left each other's sides. Since they were neighbors, the stayed either at Namjoons house, or his, and eventually convicted both of their dads to build them a treehouse in the woods between their houses as a meeting place. They'd spent nights together in the treehouse, planning their futures together and comparing dream jobs. Namjoon wanted to become a music producer or a song writer, anything that allowed him to be involved with music. He however, had wanted to become an actor/model/singer and Namjoom always knew the older would be all three because of his good looks and talents. But their futures had always planned to remain intertwined, leaving one another was out of the question... At least it was until graduation night. Once the graduation ceremony had ended and celebrations with their respective families, the two had agreed to spend the night together in the tree house as a farewell to their youth. All had been well and joyous until Namjoon had felt the burning need to finally confess his true feelings, and her grown quiet in thought. The older had poked his nose with a teasing tone "Namjoonie don't space out on me now for your philosophy, come on, talk to me." Namjoon had swallowed the lump in his throat, and slowly looked up to meet the older's intense stare. He'd stared blankly for several seconds until finally blurting out the three words that had been weighing on his heart for months prior "I love you." The older had smiled, lightly shoving Namjoon jokingly "I know, you're my best friend." Namjoon sighed, shaking his head, staring down at his lap "not like that. I meant... I love you as more than a friend. I love your laugh, your cooking, your beautiful personality, everything about you... I've fallen in love with my best friend, Jin.. I love you." The older visibly gulped, blinking rapidly before looking away in embarrassment "Namjoon... You don't, you can't, mean that.. You're just confused.. You're confusing friendship love and couple love. There's a difference, I'm sure you're just confused-" Jin had been silenced mid sentence, when Namjoon suddenly leaned forward and pressed their lips nervously together. Namjoons eyes had screwed shut, merely pressing his lips agains the older's, afraid to do anything else. However when Jins eyes had fluttered closed, and cupped his cheek, the both melted against each other in a slow, meaningful kiss. Several seconds had passed before Jim pulled away, eyes still shut as Namjoon grinned widely "I knew you liked me to.." Jin bit his bottom lip, something Namjoon knew he only did when he was scared or worried, and instead of replying with an 'I love you' or even a blush, the older had mumbled quietly "I'm leaving tomorrow for New York. I was accepted for a job last week, I leave first thing." Namjoon had only been able to blink, tears prickling his eyes as he'd leaned back, in utter shock. Jin however, had avoided eye contact, hastily gathered his phone and other belongings before climbing down and running back towards his house, leaving Namjoon with a broken heart and jumbled mind.