[Chapter Four] Liam

Start from the beginning

I stayed with her until the sun started to rise, playing with her hair and running a hand up and down her arm. When the clock turned to 6am, I decided I needed to leave because if she woke up like this, that would be very bad for me.

I moved her arm and slowly slid out from under her and when I got out, she started getting restless again so I grabbed Keisha and wrapped her arm around him.

I let out a breath of relief when she cuddled against him and calmed down. I know she doesn't like to be touched, but obviously that's what she really needs. So that just added more to the mystery. 

She wants to be held and comforted, but she's terrified to be touched. Well by humans, she didn't have a problem holding Keisha.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead and left her room quietly so I wouldn't wake her up, and when I got down the stairs Mrs. Lalan came out of the kitchen and gestured for me to come in there.

"What happened?" she asked while drinking a cup of coffee, she looked tired and I doubt she went back to sleep after waking up to Addie screaming

"I don't know. I was with Hadley and I heard someone talking, but when I got to the fence someone was screaming. It seems like she brought Keisha out last night, and fell asleep out there."

"Did she wake up?"

"No. I pulled her in my lap and she eventually calmed down. Keisha was whining and scratching at the fence so I brought him in too." I watched as she moved to the coffee pot and poured another cup

"Is she asleep now?"

"Yeah, I lay with her until I could see the sun coming up"

"And she didn't mind the contact?" she handed the cup to me.

"Thank you. And no, she would get restless and start breathing heavy when I left her on her own. It's like she needs to comfort of people, but when she's awake her mind is telling her no. She's curled up with Keisha and fine though"

"I swear I'm going to kill Lucas" she mumbled, but her eyes were blazing with furry.

"Who?" that name sounded familiar, but I could remember who it was

"Her father. Lying bastard. He told me that she wanted a break before school started, but it's obvious now that that's not the reason. Something happened to her and he didn't want to deal with it"

"I doubt she's going to tell us" I said sadly. She seems adamant on people staying away from her; the only time anyone can get close to her is when she's unconscious.

She sighed "All we can really do is respect her boundaries and try to make her feel safe here"

"Maybe she just needs people she can trust" I suggested

She snorted "Probably, I wouldn't trust her parents either."

I wonder what that meant, it's obvious that Mrs. Lalan doesn't like her brother and sister in law, but I wonder why. What is so wrong with them that she says these things? She's always the one to see the best in people and be optimistic.

"Go get some sleep honey, you got less sleep than I did, you can come for lunch to check on her"

"I'm just worried" I mumbled

"I know, so am I" she sighed.

"You should try to go get some sleep now too. Addie's asleep and everyone will be up soon if she wakes up." She really was a sweet woman.

She smiled and set the mugs in the sink before turning back to me "I'll so sleep if you do too" she bargained with me and I just smiled and shook my head.