Chapter 21 - What Am I Without My Partner In Crime

Hey sorry that I've put this story on hold for awhile. But I've been busy writing my new thriller 'Confessions of a Teenage Assassin' ----> Please check it out :) And yeah, here's another chapter of Rae & Callum's luuurve story! Vote please x

______________________________________________________________

My mind was still reeling from what happened earlier. What Callum did was shocking. How would I explain his strange behaviour? Jealousy? He really didn't have to swoop in and act all heroic, or like a jealous ex, in his case. Plus, I needed to get him back, for embarrassing me infront of Toby. I needed to get him back good.

  Now, I wasn't talking about some amateur prank that will get him detentions, I had to come up with a brilliant master plan that would teach him a good and well-earnt lesson - something that said 'Don't-mess-with-Rae-Danvers-if-you-don't-want-to-get-your-sorry-ass-kicked'. That was exactly what I needed.

  As I walked through the door and collapsed onto my bed, I grinned up at the ceiling. If someone had walked in at that precise moment, they would've thought I was perhaps mentally unhinged or desperately needed to see a therapist. But I was abnormally cheerful, a good mood that you felt like nothing could bring you down. Why? Because I had the most gorgeous boy wrapped around my little finger and he seemed to like being around me so there was some process made.

  My phone buzzed, interrupting my train of thoughts, I briefly glanced at the called ID and widened my eyes when I saw that it was Toby. I smiled to myself with glee. Calling me already...

  'Hey.' I went for the casual greeting, resisting the strong urge to scream hysterically 'What's up, home dog!' I just had a feeling that if I blurted that out, it wouldn't go so well.

  'Hey, ray of sunshine.'

  Before I could clamp a hand over my own mouth, or my brain could do something to stop me blabbing, I said almost immediately, 'Can you please not call me that?'

  There was a pause on the other end, just as I came into realization that I screwed up. Now I was mentally cursing myself for being so stupid, to let something like that slip. The truth was, only Callum ever called me that. I hated it. And that was why he insisted on calling me it. So it stuck, and I was used to hearing it only from him.

  'Hey, um... now isn't really a good time. I'll call you back later, yeah?'

  He muttered a 'Sure' and I was left with the dialing tone ringing in my own head. It seemed to penetrate my conscience and gave me a terrible headache. I wanted to punch myself. Surely it didn't mean that I wasn't over Callum... He was the past now, and I wanted to forget about him and move on. With Toby. He seemed so right for me and we'd look so adorable with each other. But there was just this one small part of me that I couldn't shake off, like a lingering shadow following you around.

  'Hey Rae, wanna come around later and watch a movie or something?' Sam turned to me and asked with a smile, 'we could watch the new American Pie movie that just came out, and get caramel popcorn with those lemonade stuff you mixed last time. Think you can make it?'

  I must have blinked in surprise, and looked like a frog with my eyes widened, because she sighed and looked down, 'Yeah I know we haven't been getting on well lately, and it's my fault. I'm really sorry. It's just... that life hasn't exactly been easy, you know?'

  Oh yeah, don't I know it.

  Instead, I murmured, 'Yeah?' and she enveloped me in a tight hug, I breathed the sweet musty scent of her perfume and closed my eyes. I really missed having her around, and it was like a dream come true that she decided to stop avoiding me. But I already had plans with Toby that day. We were going to head to the park and have a picnic after I decided to not put off calling him back. I had apologized for acting so strange and he reluctantly agreed to go with me.

  I ran it over in my head before I spoke, 'Yeah Sam, I'd love to go, you know I would. But, well,' completely out of characteristics, I started stuttering, 'I promised Toby I'd hang out with him later on. So...' I scrutinized her face for any sign of annoyance but she just smiled and shrugged, 'Well okay then, another time... But this... I cannot believe you didn't tell me! Is anything going on between you two?'

  She playfully punched me on the arm, and we burst out laughing. I grinned, 'Hmmm, let me think about that one...' I pretended to stroke my invisible beard and ponder her question. She opened her mouth and gushed, 'Oh my God, no way? That's so-'

  She immediately shut up after I kicked her under the table, I wasn't watching her silently grimacing in pain, I was watching Callum coming through the door. He waltzed in with confidence and ease, as if he owned this place. It irritated me to no end. I just wanted to go up to him and wipe that cocky smirk off his face. I remembered the ID in my back pocket. I still hadn't come up with a way to get him back so I brought it to school with me, hoping that somehow the sudden inspiration would just pop into my head when I least expected it.

  I turned to Sam, about to tell her about my scheme, but I couldn't help but laugh when she threw me a dirty glare. She leaned over and hissed, 'What the hell? I hate you... That is definitely going to leave a bruise. What did you do that for...' I composed myself then whispered excitedly, 'Hey so listen, yesterday I got my hands on Callum's ID. Now I need to get him back. But do it without getting caught or let him find that it was me...' I smiled broadly, 'ideas?'

  'You kidding me?' there was a naughty gleam in her eyes, 'Who do you think you're talking to, partner in crime?' Her throbbing shin obviously forgotten as she leaned in close and whispered furiously in my ear. 

____________________________________________________________

Please vote! Thaaaank you!